Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position: Instructor - Biology
A full-time faculty member is a College employee whose primary assignment involves teaching or the direct support of teaching. The position of full-time faculty member is a demanding one that involves delivery of instruction, preparation and evaluation of such instruction, accessibility to students, committee assignments, and service to College and community. Faculty members teach day and evening classes at multiple instruction sites as required. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Conduct assigned classes of instruction in the best manner to achieve student learning; present information, ideas, and skills in ways which are appropriate to a variety of learning styles and which show sensitivity to a diverse student population. Provide students with the approved course syllabus and relate instruction and evaluation to that syllabus. Treat students with tact and respect, maintain collegial relationships, and work productively as a member of a team. Evaluate achievement with timely interim and final performance evaluations and assign grades which reflect College policy and the achievement of course objectives as stated in the syllabus. Provide academic advising, maintain regular office hours, and maintain overall accessibility to students, which necessitates flexibility in arranging out-of-class consultations to accommodate student needs. Maintain instructional quality and effectiveness through constant and timely revisions of programs and course syllabi within assigned content area. Maintain class records and submit required reports in a timely manner. Develop new courses and select and recommend appropriate instructional materials and textbooks. Serve on College committees. Attend and otherwise participate in scheduled Department, Division, and College meetings and participate in graduation. Maintain currency in content areas through appropriate professional development. Participate in activities that enhance the College's service to students and to the community. MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in biology (or other science with 18 graduate hours in biology) required.
- Ph.D. in biology from a regionally accredited institution preferred.
- Graduate level anatomy and physiology coursework preferred.
- Broad training in all areas of biology preferred.
- Must meet minimum SACS criteria and the minimum criteria of other pertinent accrediting, licensing, and credentialing agencies in the area of teaching assignment.
- Prior college teaching experience required.
- Community college teaching experience preferred.
- General biology or anatomy and physiology teaching experience preferred.
- Online teaching experience using Blackboard learning management system preferred.