SeaWorld San Diego
At SeaWorld, we're passionate about caring for animals. In fact, we've already rescued over 37,000 animals (and counting!). And we can save you from being stuck in just another job. Join us and help bring joy, excitement, and lasting memories to people from around the world. We're seeking enthusiastic, dedicated, and hard-working Registered Veterinary Technicians.
What you get to do:
- Apply comparative veterinary technical skills to diverse collection of animals (cetaceans, pinnipeds, small mammals, elasmobranchs, fish, reptiles, avian, amphibians, invertebrates, etc.).
- Assist veterinarians, lab technologists, animal trainers and animal care specialists in all aspects of managing the health of SeaWorld's collection animals as well as stranded animals being rehabilitated through the rescue, rehabilitation, and return program.
- Assist veterinary staff in organizing and administering animal health programs including preventative medicine, diagnostic procedures, and therapy.
- Coordinate animal exams/procedures, medical treatment and routine biologic sample collection.
- Collect, transport, and process samples while maintaining clear records. Use your RVT skills to prepare samples for analyses in, but not limited to, hematology, chemistry, microbiology, mycology, parasitology, urinalysis, and cytology. Assist laboratory staff as needed in performing laboratory diagnostic procedures.
- Assist with medical data entry into our electronic animal medical records system (TRACKS).
- Maintain pharmacy. Dispense drugs, vitamins and other supplies as requested. Perform pharmaceutical and supplies inventories on a regular basis to restock as needed.
- Maintain surgery and treatment rooms, anesthetic equipment, medical equipment, and supplies. Prepare and assist with triage, surgery, diagnostic imaging, and procedures. Provide surgical assistance and anesthetic monitoring.
- Coordinate and implement radiology, laser, and surgical area safety programs. Archive diagnostic digital images.
- Ensures excellent animal care service by responding to team's requirements, expectations and needs.
- Assist and participate in animal care or Hospital projects as requested; and other related duties as assigned.
What it takes to succeed:
- At least 18 years of age and must have a valid California driver's license.
- Veterinary experience required. Animal or aquatic animal care experience preferred.
- Available to work weekends and holidays. Willingness to work evenings in the, rare, event of an emergency, procedure, or animal care need.
- Medical procedures require standing, walking, using hands, listening, talking and vision, and shuttling equipment, therefore must be able to lift and carry 25 lb.
- Maintaining records, computer data entry, dispensing pharmaceuticals, vitamins, and ordering supplies require a detail-oriented person able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft applications, spreadsheets and databases, including digital medical records (TRACKS).
- Able to sit, walk, talk, use hands, hear, smell and have color vision. Able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to work indoors with laboratory instruments as well as refrigeration and freezer units which create moderate noise.
- Able to work with limited exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and radiation. Protective equipment is provided when necessary.
- Able to positively interact with park guests and co-workers of all ages, different ethnic/cultural backgrounds and/or language, and individuals with special needs.
- Enthusiastically represents SeaWorld by displaying a positive attitude, exemplifying, highly organized, detailed-oriented time-management skills with high level of energy and commitment to quality throughout all aspects of the job.
Education and Experience:
- Veterinary Technician certification (C.V.T.) in the state of California, or eligible to acquire certification within one year.
- AVMA accredited associate's degree in Veterinary fields or registration as a veterinary technician in the State of California
- Minimum of 2 years work experience as a Veterinary Technician in a zoological facility preferred.
Hours and Availability:
- Have 5 days of unrestricted availability to include weekends and holidays.
- 40 hours per week.
- Overtime hours may be necessary upon business need.
The perks of the position:
- Paid Time Off- Vacation, Optional Holidays, and Sick pay
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K plan
- Life Insurance
- Disability Benefits
- Dependent and Health Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Assistance Plan
- SEA Employee Complimentary Park Tickets
- SEA Park Discounts on Food and Merchandise
Join the team!
If you're looking for the opportunity to make the most of your abilities in a one-of-a-kind setting with an entertainment industry leader, we're looking for you!