Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a diligent and motivated scientist to join the Molecular & Cell Biology (MCB) group in San Diego. The ideal candidate will establish and validate primary epithelial cell models for drug discovery. In addition, the scientist will help validating targets, pathways, and pathology mechanisms for new indications. Duties will include development of culture conditions for primary human epithelial cells followed by their characterization and genetic manipulation. Cells from diseased tissues will be used to develop in vitro disease models which, following POC, will be scaled for screening. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in primary cell culture and disease model development, excellent communication and organizational skills and the desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative laboratory environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
* Designs and conducts elaborate, conceptually connected, multi-component experiments
* Collates and interprets data systematically, and synthesizes results into a cohesive body of conclusions or recommendations to guide Project decisions and new research activities
* Exercises solid judgment to prioritize studies, considering feasibility and Project impact
* Performs advanced experimental troubleshooting
* Scours relevant scienti?c literature and routinely incorporates new insights into research activities
* Identi?es, prioritizes and introduces relevant emerging technologies in ?eld of expertise to advance the existing technology platforms and create/maintain a competitive advantage
* Explores the feasibility of applying new scienti?c principles/concepts or implements and validates new experimental approaches and technologies to achieve project goals
* Contributes to patent and/or publication preparation
* Independently prepares study presentations and presents experimental conclusions at internal Group/Department or Project Team research meetings
* Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
* Ability to design and execute complex experiments, including target identification, validation, and mechanistic investigation in disease-relevant contexts.
* A broad working knowledge of fundamental biology principles.
* Demonstrates astute understanding of own discipline and the relevant literature
* Maintains a high level of knowledge related to current developments in the scienti?c Project ?eld
* Displays proven productivity and experimental creativity, and effective dissemination of ideas
* Demonstrates effective, self-suf?cient communication skills, especially in peer-directed presentations
* Demonstrates awareness of other Project-related disciplines and an understanding of general concepts and some experimental detail within those areas
Education and Experience:
* Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines and 0-3 years of relevant post-doctoral employment experience
* Cell culture techniques, particularly primary human epithelial cells (ideally lung and/or kidney)
* Cell characterization techniques including imaging, RNAsequencing and flow cytometry
* Disease model and/or assay development in primary human cells
* Willingness to learn and support human tissue dissection.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment.
* A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.