Applications Accepted From
: All Persons InterestedDivision:
Environmental Health DivisionSection:
Consumer HealthWorkdays & Hours:
M-F, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.**Subject to change* DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston's Health Department is seeking talented individuals to perform the following duties:
- Investigates various establishments and locations to educate operators on City health ordinances and recommends corrective action; performs follow-up inspections; issues warnings or citations.
- Investigates complaints in public establishments or on private property; explains City health ordinances and recommends corrective action; performs follow-up inspections; issues warnings or citations.
- May assist with ambulance, mobile food unit, or waste hauler vehicle inspections and surveillance.
- May issue citations to operators not in compliance with City of Houston Code of Ordinances.
- Will appear in court for testimony regarding violations; provides testimony in enforcement hearings.
- Must cross train in other Consumer Health Programs. May conduct inspections in other programs to assist with Bureau needs.
The position routinely requires lifting of moderately heavy items, such as typewriters or records boxes (up to 40 pounds) and/or very long periods of walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis.Job Requirements:EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Health Engineering or a closely related degree.EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
No experience is required.LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
None **Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.** Bilingual candidates are highly requested May be required to obtain Registered Sanitarian license within 9 months of employment.SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
However, the Department may administer a skills assessment test.SAFETY IMPACT POSITION:
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if candidate is promoted into this position, he/she must pass an assigned drug test.SALARY INFORMATIONSpecial FundedGrants and Special funded positions are dependent upon continued available funds. If funding is no longer available, employee may be laid off or transferred.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. Pay Grade 14APPLICATION PROCEDURESOnly online applications
will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832.393.4897).
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832.393.4897. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.