HYDROGEOLOGIC, INC. (HGL) is a full-service environmental science, engineering, and construction firm with over 30 years of experience providing environmental restoration solutions to federal, state, local, and private sector clients. HGL is one of the few companies that remains committed to research and development, offering a dynamic work environment for creative, energetic professionals.The Assistant Scientist position consists of conducting environmental field investigations and related office work. This position will require approximately 80% field work at project sites located on Department of Defense (DoD) installations or EPA Superfund sites located in the Washington D.C. or Philadelphia metro areas; however, overnight travel to non-local project sites is also anticipated. When not in the field, the Assistant Scientist will assist the project team in HGL's Reston, VA or Haddonfield, NJ offices.
Currently, HGL has a position open for an Assistant Scientist reporting to our Reston, VA or Haddonfield, NJ offices.
* Collect environmental samples (groundwater, soil, sediment, surface water) in an outdoor setting using various types of sampling equipment.
* Record field data and complete associated sampling documentation.
* Organize, pack, and ship environmental samples to analytical laboratories.
* Assist office staff writing technical reports, analyzing data, generating tables, and developing project figures.
* The successful candidate will be reliable, self-motivating, and detail-oriented.
* The successful candidate must be willing to work in a flexible team setting.
* The successful candidate shall have established communication skills.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Word and Excel.
* The ability to generate organized reports and technical deliverables.
This is an entry-level position and generally requires 0-2 years of related work experience. Those applying directly out of college must be able to demonstrate the ability to successfully perform the responsibilities of the position. Working knowledge of CERCLA and RCRA is a plus.
The Assistant Scientist position requires a minimum of a BS or BA degree in a field related to Environmental Studies such as Geology, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Soil Science, Biology, or Chemistry.
* The successful candidate will be required to obtain an OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification upon employment.
* The successful candidate must pass a pre-hire drug test, be a US Citizen, and be able to pass DoD installation background checks.
To perform the field duties of this position, the successful candidate shall be in good physical health. At times, this position will require the candidate to walk long distances, carry sampling equipment weighing up to 30 pounds, and work in rugged terrain.COVID-19 vaccination is required.