Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a highly motivated and experienced membrane protein structural biologist and biophysicist to lead and develop the existing Protein Sciences Team. This team is responsible for all gene to structure work as well as cell-based approaches to study the mechanism of action of new and existing therapies. The team already has a strong track record in applying structural biology to drug discovery and this critical role will support Vertex to continually strengthen internal capabilities and exploit external centers of excellence. The successful candidate will set a clear direction and vision for the future success of the group and will provide excellent leadership to enable the team with cutting-edge technologies in structural biology and biophysics to support drug discovery efforts. The candidate will integrate and collaborate with related functions in Boston and Oxford and represent Vertex within the wider community in strategic partnerships.Minimum Qualifications
- Ph.D. in life science with >10 years of industrial/academic research and leadership experience
- Established reputation with a track record in the field of expert membrane protein biochemistry, biophysics and structural biology
- Demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science. Experience in applying emerging CryoEM and biophysical technologies to strengthen and improve current research capabilities
- Experience in leading a multi-disciplinary team to deliver impactful results and mechanism of action insights in support of drug discovery efforts
- Ability to integrate and collaborate with related Vertex functions in Boston and Oxford to achieve synergistic benefits for projects at all three centers
- Experience in providing scientific direction and in developing scientists to become champions of technological innovation
- Experience in managing personnel performance, goal setting and career growth development.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) in articulating goals, objectives and results to the group and larger cross-functional project teams
- Extensive experience interfacing with internal and external stakeholders to collaborate and execute on research programs, deliver results and influence decision making
- Maintains the excellence of standards for structure and interpretation of all laboratory records, electronic database entries, internal reports, patents and external communications from the team.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, cross-functional and multi-disciplinary work environment
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.