OHS Manager-Contract to Hire
*rewarding opportunity for a OHS Manager in Alaska on a rotational camp schedule.Principal Accountability of the Role:
The OHS Manager reports to the General Manager and the primary role is to maintain safety and health management systems and processes ensuring compliance with OHS and MSHA requirements and to lead the site OHS team.DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Champion the Company's safety policies and objectives, actively promote all safety management systems and processes.
- Display a clear commitment to safety & health, and seek to eliminate or control the risks of injury and/or damage to equipment.
- Operate in accordance with and comply the Company's Safety and Health Policy, and with all site policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Proactive involvement with continuous OHS improvement processes.
- Active participation in all communication and awareness systems.
Specific Departmental Requirements
- Coordinate the daily management, control and supervision of the working areas of the OHS team in accordance with Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Act & Regulations.
- Build and mentor the OHS team as required, emphasizing safety, high technical standards and continuous improvement.
- Ensure you act in accordance with the occupational health and safety management system requisites of the Company.
- Develop annual Safety Improvement Plans (SIP) incorporating legislative requirements, Company objectives, standards, policies and measures.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of the SIP.
- Maintain incident response and investigation systems.
- Maintain risk management systems.
- Manage site occupational health & hygiene requirements.
- Ensure statutory reporting requirements fulfilled.
- Emergency response planning, training and response.
- Maintain adequate emergency response personnel numbers and competences.
- Maintain OHS Training Systems.
- Maintain occupational medical and first aid systems.
- Ensure injury management procedures are implemented to achieve a safe, early return to work by injured employees.
- Assist with rehabilitation and Workers Compensation matters.
- KEY ROLE QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Recognized tertiary qualifications in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Significant experience in occupational health and safety, including experience in leadership roles in a mining environment, specifically underground mining operations.
- Current Driver's License.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Alaska and USA.
Desired Experience & Competencies
- MSHA instructor certification.
- EMT II certification.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- Knowledge in the development and implementation of safety programs and recognised safety management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in OHS systems auditing.
- Experience in site safety management and improvement plan development, implementation and measurement.
- Demonstrated experience in medical and emergency response coordination.
- Experience with ICAM investigation methodology or similar.
- Familiar with INX event management applications.
- Strong people management and skills.
- Proven ability to deliver results and lead a team in delivering a high level of customer support.
- Experience in managing department costs and budgeting.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft and OHS related software.
Working either 8 days on, 6 days off or 4 days on, 3 days off schedule of days, up to 12 hours a day or more at a remote campsite. Extreme conditions, including but not limited to extreme and changing weather conditions, dust, mud, varying levels of noise, varying degrees of light and dark, in and around artificial light and in a confined work area.
Employees are required to stay on site at the company provided camp during the work rotation. Camp facilities provide dining service, games room, exercise & weight room, sauna, and accommodation rooms. Dormitory rooms have a land line phone, great Wi-Fi & cable TV. Cell service is available through Wi-Fi. The Company provides a bus service to and from Fairbanks, Delta Junction and Tok, Alaska.