Posted: Aug 16, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
At Apple, our ambition is to make products without taking from the Earth. Imagine what you could do here! Getting there requires focus and innovation in three key areas: climate change, resources, and smarter chemistry. We believe that our products should be safe for anyone who assembles, uses, or recycles them. As our Restricted Substances Engineer on the Environmental Technologies team, you will help drive the adoption of innovative solutions through product design and engineering to create world-class products using materials that preserve human and environmental health in support of Apple's Smarter Chemistry goals.
* 7+ years of proven experience in electronic product manufacturing and environmental compliance management systems
* Experience using product lifecycle management (PLM) tools with deep understanding of manufacturing principles, practices, concepts, and terms
* Proven familiarity with global environmental product compliance requirements (e.g., RoHS, REACh) and standards (e.g., IEEE 1680.1)
* Knowledge and experience in green chemistry and the human and environmental health impacts of chemicals
* Demonstrated track record monitoring and ensuring compliance to restricted substance regulations and standards in the electronics sector
* Extensive experience engaging cross-functional teams and suppliers to ensure compliance through training, workflow processes, and IT systems
* Knowledge in analytical testing (spectroscopic, chromatographic, and wet chemistry) and toxicology methods
- This position is offered in Apple's Environmental Technologies group within our Hardware Engineering division. In this position, you will manage programs orchestrating the work of a globally dispersed team and working with internal stakeholders to drive demonstrated results in product compliance, assessment of chemicals and materials used in our products, and demonstration of Apple's environmental achievements. - Develop a nuanced understanding of regulatory trends and best available science to identify chemicals of concern in various materials and electronics products in order to drive voluntary restriction programs. - Collaborate across the Apple organization to ensure business and environmental objectives are met. Rapidly synthesize and effectively communicate findings to senior leaders, actively identify potential environmental issues that can affect product design and contribute to solutions. - Partner internally and with suppliers to track the use of materials, identify substances that should be removed due to their hazardous properties, and support execution of phase-out programs. - Support revision of environmental specifications, conduct supporting analysis to restrict substances with potential human health or environmental impacts, and implement restrictions and drive phase-out initiatives.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Education & Experience
- Bachelors / Masters in engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field