At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people's lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered for this position, a resume/CV must be uploaded and submitted during the application process. Please make sure work history and education are added correctly.
We are seeking an experienced Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Engineer for our Safety Assessment site located in Reno, Nevada.
The EH&S Engineer would be responsible for managing the Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) Program for adherence to local, state, and federal regulations. This individual will inspect the facility for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable. The EH&S Engineer would recommend solutions to management that address deficiencies in EH&S compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Establish, administer and update specific EH&S programs for compliance with state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and other regulations as necessary. Manage OSHA and EPA records and maintain reporting and documentation standards.
* Provide initial and periodic safety and environmental training to all employees as required and advise management on safety and environmental issues. Review new regulatory standards and make compliance recommendations. Coordinate EH&S with Charles River Laboratories, Safety Assessment corporate office.
* Serve as liaison with occupational healthcare provider, physicians, and specialty laboratories in accomplishing the requirements for the Occupational Health Program. Maintain employee health files and database.
* Inspect the facility for compliance with OSHA and EPA regulations as applicable. Recommend solutions to management that address deficiencies in EH&S compliance. Submit work orders for facility corrective action on EH&S concerns.
* Manage the hazardous waste (RCRA) and radiation waste disposal function including waste profiling, permitting, manifesting, and record keeping and reporting. Lead the Hazmat Team in emergency spill response.
* Function as Emergency Coordinator for 24-hour incident response.
* Serve as a member of the Safety Committee and as a member of the Radiation Safety Committee.
* Investigate all injuries resulting in lost time claims and/or safety violations and property damage. Make recommendations for corrective action. Provide regulatory guidance on EH&S issues to all staff.
* Available to clients and federal and state investigators to explain procedures and produce written documentation as proof of compliance.
* Attend annual Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training.
* Perform all other related duties as assigned.
The following are minimum requirements related to the EH&S Engineer position.
* Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
* 4 years related experience in Environmental Health & Safety.
* An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
* Ability to interpret federal and state regulation and apply them to address compliance solutions as required. Effective writing, organizational and time management skills. Computer skills including MS Office and database management.
IMPORTANT: A resume is required to be considered for this position. If you have not uploaded your resume in your candidate profile, please return to upload field and attach your resume/CV.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.