The incumbent is a subject matter expert in Microbiology/Molecular Biology and will support and assist colleagues through preparation of bacterial cultures and bacterial and viral templates for whole genome sequence analysis and other downstream processes/analyses. Incumbent will be a key member of a core facility providing whole genome sequence analysis in support of all vaccine programs. Daily duties will also include general laboratory support (media preparation, reagent stocking, and ordering supplies). Incumbent will be willing to learn new techniques, be a self-starter and work semi-independently.
* Demonstrated proficiency in proper handling of bacterial and viral isolates and clinical samples.
* Mastery of aseptic technique and familiarity with BSL2 safety practices for working in the laboratory.
* Key member of whole genome sequencing core team; ownership of WGS pipeline and oversight of colleague/client sequencing runs.
* Identification, culture, storage and tracking of clinical isolates and laboratory strains.
* Support colleagues in the laboratory by performing routine laboratory duties that can include preparation of media, stocking of reagents, ordering supplies.
* Develop and follow standard operating procedures.
* Preparation of research findings in reports or for presentation as well as documentation of all work in electronic notebook.
* Presents research findings in lab, group, team and departmental meetings/forums.
* Work efficiently as part of a team in a matrixed environment.
* B.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or a related discipline with 3+ years relevant research experience, or M.S. degree with 1-3 years relevant experience.
* Training and laboratory experience in microbiology and molecular biology is essential.
* Bacterial culture, aseptic technique.
* Molecular Biology skills (e.g. extraction and handling of DNA and RNA, PCR, cloning).
* Good verbal and written communication skills are required.
* Laboratory experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) is a plus.
* Proficiency in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and relevant scientific software is desirable.
* Sitting, standing, walking, light lifting ( * Travel to regional, national and international meetings.
* Adherence to safe work practices and procedures required.
Other Job Details:
* Eligible for employee referral programs: YES
* Eligible for relocation support: YES
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development