Biotium is a leading life science reagent company based in the Bay Area, specializing in developing and manufacturing innovative fluorescent detection kits and reagents.JOB OBJECTIVE:
Research and development with a focus on microbiology and molecular biology, leading to the commercialization of new fluorescence reagents for qPCR, microbial viability, DNA/RNA analysis, and related applications. Primary job responsibility will be biological testing of novel fluorescent dyes, probes, and conjugates developed by Biotium's chemistry R&D group, with the goal of developing innovative research products based on these technologies. Responsibilities also include production, QC testing, and writing product protocols in an ISO 9001-compliant environment.ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Test fluorescent reagents for microbial staining/imaging, microbial viability, qPCR, DNA/RNA isolation, quantitation, and electrophoresis, nucleic acid probe labeling and hybridization, and other related applications as appropriate.
- Design and execute experiments at the laboratory bench, make detailed and general observations, and analyze data.
- Develop methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results with minimal supervision.
- Launch new products such as reagents and kits, generate product specifications, develop production and QC protocols.
- Independently plan projects and manage project timelines.
- Perform production and quality control testing of products in compliance with ISO 9001 protocols.
- Assist with customer technical support and troubleshooting for products across a variety of applications.
- Contribute to internally and externally published literature, product manuals, technical marketing materials, and ISO 9001-compliant SOPs.
- Identify and implement improvements to work processes and laboratory environment.
- Laboratory experience in molecular biology or microbiology, including qPCR, microbial viability, virology, in situ hybridization, DNA/RNA isolation/quantitation, or similar applications.
- An independent self-starter who enjoys problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to complete multiple tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Careful, precise and accurate laboratory techniques.
- Ability to effectively organize tasks, maintain accurate records and documentation of results.
- Ability to master new skills, methods and instrumentation quickly.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player, and to follow supervisory direction.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to present scientific results clearly and concisely.
· Experience with fluorescence-based technologies a plus.
· Experience with HTRF (Homogeneous Time Resolved Fluorescence) assays a plus.
· Experience with assay development a plus.JOB CONDITIONS:
Work is carried out in a typical biology laboratory setting. Work may require frequent sitting, standing, walking and lifting and/or carrying of chemicals or chemical containers. Work may also require sitting and working at a computer or standing at a laboratory bench for long periods of time.EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, or related field. Master's degree with extensive relevant experience also considered.COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary dependent on experience/education. Company-paid benefits include: medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage, 401(k), 401(k) matching, sick leave, vacation, and holidays, Disability insurance, Life insurance, Flexible schedule, Health savings account, Parental leave, Referral program, Relocation assistance,
Supplemental Pay: Bonus payCOVID-19 CONSIDERATIONS:
Remote interview process Personal protective equipment provided or required Virtual meetings Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place