Heartland Food Products Group is a global leader in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry, producing low-calorie sweeteners, coffee, coffee creamers and liquid water enhancers. We manufacture and market Splenda, the #1 brand in the low calorie sweetener category and the most recognized in the world. Our goals is to transform the sweetener category from commoditized ingredients to a destination that unleashed shopper's potential for better, healthier baking and beverages. We make coffee, tea and water taste better and help people live happier, healthier and longer lives by making it easy to reduce sugar. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package. Come grow with us. This role is on-site at Manufacturing Plant in Indianapolis & requires at least 2 years of experience. Benefits eligible first day.
The EHS Specialist will provide support to the EHS Manager and site leadership to assist in the development, review, revision, and implementation of companywide occupational safety programs along with applicable trainings within one or more plants and/or departments. The EHS Specialist will be responsible for the inspection and evaluation of the environment, equipment and processes in working areas to ensure compliance with safety regulations and industry standards, maintain a compliant injury reporting and recording process as well as the generation of and proper retention of all EHS related documentation. The main goal of the EHS Specialist is to protect the employees, customers and the environment while promoting a professional, collaborative and safety culture-enhancing presence fostered by a ‘Lead by Example' mindset.Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Maintains environment, health and safety objectives, targets, legal, management programs and control procedures to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Reviews, implements and maintains required Environment and Health and Safety policies and procedures by managing them to meet requirements.
- Fosters new ideas, suggests resources and solutions to improve the safety program as well as reduce the environmental footprint of the facility.
- Documents and maintains all EHS records and statistics/KPIs.
- Stays current with all regulated safety training.
- Actively participates in the design, development, and delivery/administration of (or assistance of others in delivering, as needed) EHS training (instructor-led and/or online) to all existing and newly hired employees.
- Provides EHS technical expertise and guidance to employees, committees and teams.
- Partners with employees to address EHS concerns.
- Is capable of facilitating and sponsoring employee led teams that solve problems and lead the company toward world class safety.
- Promotes a safe working environment by coordinating or conducting plant inspections and reporting statistics.
- Actively participates in incident investigations, Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Corrective Actions and Preventative Actions (CAPA) processes.
- Completion of Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) and Job Safety Observations (JSOs) as needed.
- Development, implementation and maintenance of the LOTO Program.
- Development, implementation and maintenance of the Working at Height Program.
- Evaluates new projects or modifications to existing processes for potential effects to the environment and workers' health and safety through checklists.
- Arranges, records and maintains records of waste manifests and hazardous waste transfers and coordinates transactions to ensure that all are reconciled, and they are performed according to applicable legislation.
- Assists in the resolution of requests for removal of unauthorized vehicles from company property as well as overall security monitoring duties including but not limited to badge access and security cameras.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B. S.) preferably in Safety, Industrial Engineering or related scientific field; plus 2-5 years of related experience
- Minimum of 2 years of EHS experience in a manufacturing setting, preferably food, with emphasis in line driven safety and process safety management
- OSHA 10/30 certification preferred
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent knowledge and utilization of Microsoft Office; including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills; comfortable with interactions inclusive of all levels of the organization
- Demonstrates a very high sense of urgency; speed to market is critical
- Demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to physically perform the functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, repetitive motions, speaking and hearing
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time while utilizing computers, telephones and other electronic media
- Must be able to work extended hours, such as daily overtime and occasional weekends, as needed
- Must possess documentation acuity
- Continuous walking throughout facilities and grounds
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds