Job DescriptionResearch Associate II - Molecular Biology
REPORTS TO: Associate Scientist
Under minimal supervision, responsible for all aspects of conducting scientific studies using standard to advanced cellular, biochemical and/or molecular biology techniques.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· With minimal guidance, conducts experiments according to established study protocols.
· Organizes and maintains experimental records.
· Records experimental data in lab notebooks and reports findings to appropriate individuals.
· With minimal guidance, analyzes data and interprets results.
· Independently prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
· Presents data and findings in group meetings.
· Under minimal supervision, may perform one or more of the following:
· Research and/or development in collaboration with others on projects working with cloning of recombinant DNA, various platforms of recombinant protein expression, mammalian cell culture and the purification of nucleic acid and proteins.
· Research and/or development in collaboration with others towards the establishment and application of mammalian in vitro cell-based assays during the identification and the characterization of recombinant biologics, including antibody generation.
· Activities such as immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, Western blot analysis, quantitative immunoassays, and other standard immunologic laboratory techniques.
· Use bioinformatic software for the analysis of nucleic acid sequences, strategic oligonucleotide design, and various properties of proteins.
· Performs general laboratory housekeeping and adheres to safety procedures.
· Reviews, comprehends and complies with all SOP's and internal guidelines.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· A BS degree or equivalent in the biological sciences.
· Excellent academic record.
· 3 years related experience.
· Extensive experience conducting basic experimental procedures.
· Extensive experience with design, documentation and execution of experiments.
· In-depth knowledge of standard molecular and/or immunobiological assays.
· Excellent record keeping, attention to detail and communication skills.
· Thorough knowledge of MS Office products.
· Ability to work effectively with others in a team, laboratory and office environment.
· Ability to change tasks quickly and still maintain attention.
· While performing the duties the employee is:
o constantly required to reach computers and other office and laboratory equipment
o frequently required to communicate with others
o frequently required to use fine manipulation and simple grasping in order to handle laboratory equipment and to utilize the computer and other standard office equipment such as telephone, fax machines, copiers, etc.
o frequently required to lift and transport items weighing up to 25 lbs.
o may occasionally be required to travel to meetings and trade shows
Employee frequently works in an animal and biology laboratory environment with a moderate amount of noise and activity.