We are seeking a Senior Scientist to join our R&D Team. This role will report to the Director of R&D and will have an opportunity to contribute to the development of new workflows for the discovery of pre-clinical mRNA vaccine and therapeutic candidates. A successful candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced and a highly collaborative start-up environment doing cutting-edge science. This person will work closely with team members from R&D and Operations. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conceive, plan and execute wet lab experiments.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of at least 1-2 direct reports (Research Associates).
- Engage and collaborate with team members at Codex DNA to develop and automate novel protocols and workflows.
- Manage projects in an efficient manner and successfully deliver against project timelines.
- Document experiments in detailed and complete reports; present data-supported conclusions in meetings.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative and follow-through in implementing projects and tasks.
- Keep up to date with scientific literature in the areas of strategic interest to Codex DNA.
- Serve as an example to Codex DNA's Culture.
- All other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of experience with team lead experience on at least two fully completed projects and at least 1 year of managerial experience (managing others)
- Experience and familiarity with basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR, RT-PCR, Cloning (Gibson Assembly, Conventional Ligation Technique, Golden-Gate Assembly), plasmid and genomic DNA extraction, agarose-gel analysis and extraction of DNA, Microbiological media preparation, Buffer preparation, Sterile Techniques for propagating bacterial and yeast cultures, Sanger Sequencing and NGS data analysis.
- Hands-on experience with in vitro transcription to generate mRNA is a must.
- Experience with developing and implementing assays to determine mRNA capping efficiency, integrity, contamination etc is preferred.
- Candidates with prior experience in managing direct reports and leading projects to fruition will be prioritized.
- Familiarity/experience with automating biological workflows is a plus.
- Innovative in trouble shooting, generating new ideas and constantly willing to learn will be considered highly favorable characteristics for this position.
- Adaptability to changing priorities and projects is expected.
Working Conditions: (Select from Below is applicable)
- PhD in Molecular Biology/Synthetic Biology/RNA biology with 3-5 years of experience.
- As a critical and essential role, the candidate must be willing and able to travel to the San Diego, CA office to report to work.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds required.
Company DescriptionOur mission is to apply our breakthroughs in automation solutions for DNA, RNA, and protein synthesis to enable customers to program and "write" synthetic biology that creates sustainable healthcare and technology solutions for some of humanity's biggest challenges. Our gene synthesis portfolio reduces the turnaround time for synthesizing workflows from weeks and months to days and hours, and includes the BioXpTM system, DNA services, Gibson Assembly® reagents, and VmaxTM chemically competent cells. In addition to automating, accelerating, and optimizing DNA design, synthesis, cloning and amplification, Codex DNA and the BioXpTM system ensure your designs stay in your hands, marrying speed and security for innovators in drug discovery, vaccine development, precision medicine, and beyond.