Scientist - Molecular Biology
Conagen, Inc. Bedford, Massachusetts, United States
Conagen Inc. is a leader in the area of bio-manufacturing. We engineer organisms to produce molecules that are essential to our well-being. Scientists and Engineers at Conagen use the latest synthetic biology tools to design metabolic pathways, improve production organisms, optimize production procedures, and ensure the quality as well as safety of the final products. We focus on the bio-manufacturing of high-value ingredients for food, nutrition, pharmaceutical, and renewable material industries. Science and Innovation are the driving forces of our Mission.
Job Description Overview:
We are currently seeking a Scientist to support the projects related to metabolic engineering of conventional and non-conventional microbial hosts for the production of plant and microbial secondary metabolites. The candidate is expected to perform various molecular biology tasks, including high-throughput and custom cloning, protein expression, purification and characterization. The candidate will also have the opportunity to manage and execute all in-house NGS activities including producing sequencing libraries, developing new protocols and maintaining instruments. Strong technical, organizational, and communication skills are essential.
· Perform molecular cloning with and without automation. Deliver high-quality constructs in timely manner
· Participate in development of new cloning strategies to support project needs
· Collaborate with automation team to develop and modify cloning protocols under minimum supervision
· Be responsible for running and maintaining the sequencing instruments in-house
· Routinely perform library preparation with consistent quality for Nanopore and possibly other next-generation sequencing platforms
· Collaborate with project teams to develop and modify SOPs for their specific sequencing needs under minimum supervision
· Proper notebook keeping and sample tracking
· A Bachelor's degree with 4+ years, Master degree with 2+ years' experience or Ph.D. in molecular biology, biochemistry, synthetic biology, or other related fields
· Hands-on experience with NGS library preparation and molecular cloning techniques such as PCR, Golden Gate, Gibson, etc
· Familiar with E. coli expression system
· Basic knowledge in sample tracking
· Experience with yeast expression system
· Experience with automation, such as Tecan, Biomek, Mosquito, etc.
· Experience with sample tracking systems such as LIMS
· Experience with entering and retrieving data from databases
Job Type: Full-time