Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we're seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.Job Description
Seeking a passionate and highly motivated leader and drug hunter to build and lead our structural biology team and capabilities, help develop and evolve our discovery platform and contribute to our growing portfolio of transformative therapies in oncology. The successful candidate will have state-of-the art expertise in structural biology (the integration of X-Ray crystallography, NMR, biophysics, CryoEM, protein sciences and computational chemistry/molecular dynamics) and be a visionary for driving discovery programs with structural information. This is a unique opportunity to join a vibrant, growing team with significant investments being made in Discovery Research. This position will report to the SVP of Discovery Research and will work closely with the VP of Biology and VP of Chemistry to build strategic directions for the platform and portfolio with a focus on translating new disease and new mechanistic insights into transformative, precision medicines for patients.Qualifications
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build, lead, and provide scientific leadership for a growing structural biology team including crystallography, NMR, biophysics, protein sciences, computational chemistry/molecular dynamics
- Develop, refine, and implement the research strategy to effectively integrate structural insights into our drug discovery programs across modalities and approaches with a focus on expanding druggable space, complementing our existing lead discovery efforts and accelerating drug discovery programs
- Partner and collaborate with colleagues in Medicinal Chemistry and Biology to develop and implement new strategic directions for Discovery Research
- Develop and implement external innovation strategies to enhance our structural biology approaches through academic partnerships and CROs with a focus on advancing internal programs and expanding our capabilities in line with portfolio needs
- Stay scientifically cutting edge and identify and integrate emerging science to advance the portfolio
- Make intellectual contributions and provide scientific and strategic insights and debate to jointly, with functional partners, develop new strategies and advance a growing portfolio (including ensuring a competitive edge, driving a sense of urgency for patients and providing clear priorities for execution)
- Provide day-to-day scientific and organizational leadership, serve as a mentor and role model with the goal of developing high-performing biology team and scientific talents
- Work with the Discovery leadership to allocate appropriate resources to ensure timely achievement of pipeline goals
- Foster a science-driven, goal-oriented culture that values innovation, teamwork, agility, transparency, accountability, and empowerment
- Conduct scientific presentations to senior management, project teams, and internal/external collaborators
- Comply with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
- Build, hire, lead and manage a team of multi-disciplinary scientists. Team size will be significant - candidate will have the opportunity to propose and define the appropriate level of internal and external resources necessary for success
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, molecular modeling/dynamics, or other relevant structural biology degree and seventeen years related experience
- Fifteen years of experience in industrial/academic research solving complex protein structures; experience with CryoEM a strong plus
- Experience leading MS and Ph.D. level scientists in a cross-disciplinary team
- Experience in fragment-based drug discovery required; experience in new modalities, e.g. PROTACs, a strong plus
- Experience in leading a multi-disciplinary team to deliver impactful results and mechanism of action insights in support of drug discovery efforts
- Established reputation in structural sciences via a strong publication/patent record and a track record of advancing successful drug discovery programs by building deep structural and mechanistic insights
- Demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science and drug discovery. Experience in applying emerging science and technologies to strengthen and improve research capabilities
- In-depth knowledge of current practices and issues in X-Ray, CryoEM, molecular dynamics and other techniques
- Working knowledge of proteomics, protein expression and construct design, biophysics, biochemistry and bioassay development
- Strong written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Keen desire to grow and develop the careers of team members
- Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Uses professional concepts to contribute to the development of company concepts and principles to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.