- Bachelors Degree in Science Field (Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology)- At least 6 hours of biology, 6 hours of chemistry, and 12 additional biology or chemistry hours REQUIRED
- Must be able to commute to Topeka, KS
- Interest in a career in science and microbiology
- Coachable and willing to learn, must be able to work in a lab setting
Insight Global is seeking an entry-level Microbiologist for a government Virology and Serology laboratory in Topeka, KS. This position will require working with samples/specimens within a traditional lab setting. This individual will begin working in the COVID 19 sector but will have the ability to move on to other sectors. This is an excellent opportunity to begin a career within microbiology. Responsibilities Include:
- Perform real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing for SARS-CoV-2 to support outbreak investigations and surveillance monitoring.
- Perform QC and QA on analytical tests through daily monitoring of assays and by participating in proficiency challenges.
- Diagnostics & Coordination: Work with various health departments and facilities across the state to help coordinate testing.
- Will evaluate the condition of samples and specimens upon arrival to the lab and will determine what requested tests are to be performed.
- Complete testing using established standard operating procedures.
- Troubleshoot with technical support to resolve instrument issues.
- Separates incoming specimens according to lab units, provides accession numbers of all samples and specimens, and ensures login to the lab database.
- Deliver submission forms to the data entry area.
- Conduct preventative maintenance tasks
- Alert supervisors when essential supplies are requiring upkeep
- Some travel to community test sites may be required
- Perform other duties as assigned including serving as a member of the Disaster Response Team as needed to assure the public and environmental health response is adequately prepared during and immediately following disasters, infectious disease outbreaks, and/or acts of terrorism
- All PPE provided