*Job Title: Applications Scientist II, Molecular Biology*
*Requisition ID: 177712BR*
*Location: Santa Clara, CA*
*About Thermo Fisher Scientific *
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Our global team of more than 90,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit [www.thermofisher.com](http://www.thermofisher.com/).
*Division Specific Information*
The Laboratory Products Division (LPD) unites deep scientific expertise, collaborative culture and rich resources to deliver the lab equipment and consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals - quickly, reliably and safely. Our smart lab solutions make it faster and easier for our customers to focus on what matters most - delivering answers and innovations that save and improve lives.
*How will you make an impact?*
The Applications Scientist II will serve as a scientific expert in techniques of molecular biology, including next-generation sequencing (NGS), microarrays, capillary electrophoresis (CE) and polymerase chain reaction (PCR), supporting remote pre-and post-sales technical support of Thermo Fisher Scientific products to customers and field personnel. The candidate will utilize their scientific expertise to integrate Laboratory Plastic Essential portfolio (consumables, software and instruments) into workflows based on various applications in regulated and validated segments, provide applications/technical support and training to customers. The candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary cross-divisional matrix team, for example, commercial representatives, product management, R&D scientists, field application scientists and marketing development managers.
*What will you do?*
* Conduct research to generate data highlighting the use of supported products in workflows related to molecular biology in regulated and validated segments.
* Develop application-specific workflows that integrate the consumables, software and instruments in the Laboratory Plastic Essential portfolio.
* Draft and review technical plans, reports, and protocols under the guidance of senior lab personnel and/or Principal Investigators, analyze and present experimental data, generate laboratory protocols.
* Provide field support to our sales organization by providing customers with technical guidance (pre and post-sales activities) and providing the sales organization with high-level training on customer applications.
* Present workflows by creating technical marketing materials, including application notes, peer-reviewed publications and presenting data at scientific conferences and webinars.
* Maintain laboratory, equipment, and accurate records, including a laboratory notebook.
* Cross-train internal commercial and business teams on products and applications as needed.
* Partner with other technical scientists across divisions to create cross-divisional workflows.
* Stay current on scientific and industry trends and participate in VOC to understand customer needs.
*How will you get here?*
* Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's in relevant field with 5+ years of experience, Master's degree in relevant field with 3+ years experience.
* Preferred Qualifications: PhD in relevant field.
* Relevant fields of study include Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related disciplines.
Bachelor's in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related fields with 5+ years of experience, or Master's degree with 3+ years' experience is required. PhD preferred
*Knowledge, Skills, Abilities*
* Proven ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information, and to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues.
* Strong work ethic with a proven track record to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment.
* Self-reliant, problem solver and results-oriented.
* Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values - Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I's)
* Able to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status