At BioCryst, we are passionate about advancing novel therapeutics for patients with rare and serious diseases. Our structure-guided drug design process leads us to the discovery and development of novel small-molecule drugs. We integrate traditional biology and medicinal chemistry along with a wide array of advanced technologies to understand the three-dimensional structures of active sites of target enzymes. Our scientists then design molecular structures to create bespoke drugs for patients. We focus on therapeutic areas with either no available treatments or large unmet patient needs. BioCryst's US headquarters are located in Durham, North Carolina, our European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland and our Discovery Center of Excellence in Birmingham, Alabama. We are proud of our culture of engagement and accountability that rewards people for innovative thinking and achievement of key objectives.
The Research Biologist II (Protein Engineer) will have the proven capabilities to work effectively across a broad spectrum of biological targets and therapeutic areas. The selected candidate will coordinate, and administer planning, research, and development of new and existing processes, ideologies, and programs for the continued support of the preclinical and discovery departments. They will also develop strategies to ensure the effective achievement of scientific goals as well as monitor and evaluate assigned personnel for tasks and projects within the biology department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job Requirements:EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Provide strong knowledge base and hands-on expertise with state-of-the-art protein engineering techniques to develop a robust pipeline of biotherapeutics including monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, and recombinant proteins for the treatment of rare diseases. Conduct biologics drug design, develop and optimize analytical methods for biologics characterization.
- Provide Biologics support and scientific expertise in support of target validation efforts for rare diseases.
- Develop in vitro assays required for the validation of novel therapeutic targets. Design, validate, and conduct in vitro biological and immunological assays for the pharmacological characterization of new biological drug candidates for multiple research programs.
- Design and conduct in vivo studies for evaluating new drug candidates and current investigational drugs for efficacy in disease models and pharmacokinetics in rodents.
- The successful candidate should be a key contributor of a cross-functional team that collaboratively develops novel therapeutics. The candidate will work closely with our Biology In Vivo Pharmacology teams, as well as external CROs, in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate should also be a self-motivated individual with demonstrated experience in the development of therapeutic biologics molecules.
- Provide technical due diligence on new technology or target ideas for multiple ongoing projects
- Participate in technology development in biology. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Direct and maintain Biosafety Containment II Area within the tissue culture facility.
- Conduct non-GLP pilot studies and prepare study reports for potential drug candidates.
- Assist director in protocol development and related reports for preclinical studies.
- Implement procedures for monitoring projects in house and with contract facilities to inform management of current project status.
- Establish collaboration and communication cross-functionally with Chemistry, Bioanalytical, Biology, and Drug Development groups within BioCryst organization to ensure appropriate guidelines and procedures are adhered to maintain and facilitate the completion of company goals and objectives.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. with 5+ years of Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular & Cell Biology experience with a proven track record in antibody and recombinant protein discovery and engineering.
- Demonstrated experience with engineering differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to antibodies, fusion proteins, multi-specifics and other protein scaffolds.
- The ideal candidate will have working experience with protein expression and purification using mammalian, insect, and yeast expression systems. Also important is experience with therapeutic antibodies or FC fusion proteins.
- Experience in engineering, high-throughput selection methods and characterization of protein and antibody variants with a sustained record of productivity and substantive scientific contributions as evidenced by high-impact publications, patent inventorship, and/or presentations.
- Knowledge of protein structures and understanding protein structure-function relationships.
- Experience in molecular biology and protein chemistry, working with large libraries of protein variants, and analytical characterization methods such as HPLC, MS, NMR, and SPR (Surface Plasmon Resonance).
- Strong experimental skills in molecular biology, protein expression, purification, and characterization
- A keen eye for critical path, providing scientific oversight and direction to the biologics programs as well as enabling go/no go decisions for projects.
- Experience managing cross-functional biologics discovery and development team and advancing therapeutic candidates.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrate leadership, organizational and project management skills with flexibility in working with organizations and/or partners with different cultures, values, mindsets, and approaches.
- Detailed-oriented with meticulous oversight, coordination, and tracking abilities.
- Ability to work independently under limited supervision.
- Ability to invest time, as required, and expedites and/or completes assignments whenever necessary to meet corporate objectives.
- Ability to work in a challenging environment with frequent interruptions, changing priorities and deadlines, willingness to take on difficult tasks with can-do attitude.
- Must be able to lift 10 to 15 lbs (tanks, solutions, etc).