The Senior Director of Biology will be a key member of the TB Alliance's Research and Development team and will provide the leadership and expertise necessary to assess and evaluate projects from diverse sources. He/she will help to organize, manage and co-lead the research activities necessary for the early development of anti-TB drugs.
The Senior Director will be responsible for helping to create and implement the research and pre-clinical development strategy of the TB Alliance. As a key member of the TB Alliance's Research and Development team, the Senior Director will:
- Advise and support the Head of Discovery in overseeing the TB Alliance's discovery and preclinical projects, ensuring timely and quality technical performance. Help develop and ensure cost-efficient methods for going from leads to drug candidates, and ultimately the filing of INDs.
- Lead or co-Lead a portion of the TB Alliance preclinical portfolio
- Be involved in the identification, evaluation and selection of potential portfolio projects and appropriate compounds and product candidates for TB drug development.
- Provide scientific, technical and strategic leadership on biological aspects of TB drug research and development.
- Marshal appropriate cutting-edge technologies to drive forward existing and future programs.
- Collaborate in a productive manner within the TB Alliance team to help drive and maximize the TB Alliance's research and development activities.
- Represent the TB Alliance externally in scientific, financial and business development communities and in meetings with regulatory bodies.
- Report progress towards research milestones to the Head of Research, the Research and Development team, the Scientific Advisory Committee and the management of the TB Alliance.
- Evaluate the progress of portfolio projects to ensure that TB Alliance resources are being put to best use and that the projects will meet all critical success factors, and prepare materials for interim and formal project reviews.
- Help manage and build the TB Alliance's research capabilities, ensuring a culture that is capable of attracting and retaining the best talents.
- Stay current on developments in TB biology and R&D in industry and academia.
- Ensure timely publication of research papers and maintain association with scientific and professional organizations to enhance the TB Alliance's prestige.
- Help manage the Discovery and preclinical development budget
- Responsible for compliance with applicable GxP regulations in performing the functions of the job.
- Attendance at annual GxP or other applicable regulatory trainings provided by the TB Alliance.
Ideal candidates will have:
- A Ph.D. in a biological science from a well-respected academic institution is required.
- Extensive experience in a research capacity within a pharmaceutical/biotechnology company. He or she should have a minimum of 10 years of experience in biological research, preferably in infectious disease research area, with a thorough understanding of the requirements and processes needed to take a potential drug from discovery into full development.
- A successful track record in drug discovery research in leading teams and in delivering drug candidates for development, preferably in the pulmonary or infectious disease area.
- A broad base knowledge in biochemistry, molecular biology, bacteriology and microbiology, and should have participated in the preclinical evaluation of multiple drug candidates.
- Strong experience in translational models and the interface between preclinical and clinical outcomes
- Broad exposure to drug discovery research and preclinical development with an understanding of the complex interface between research and clinical development.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with the highest levels of research management in small and larger pharmaceutical companies.
- Proven organizational, analytical and leadership skills with the ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- The ability to present well in an international setting and have the interest and ability to become an expert in TB.
- A diplomatic personality that can represent the TB Alliance to international regulators and partners.
- Strong communication, presentation, and influence skills. He or she should display strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working alliances.
- A sense of purpose and dedication to the objectives and mission of the Global Alliance for TB Drug Development and its not for profit focus.
New York, NY
To apply for this position, send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the position title in the subject line.
TB Alliance is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the discovery and development of better, faster, affordable tuberculosis drugs that are available to those who need them.Through innovative science and with partners around the globe, we lead a global effort to ensure development of and equitable access to faster, better tuberculosis cures that will advance global health and prosperity.
With an annual operating budget of approximately $60 million, the TB Alliance leads the advancement of the most comprehensive R&D portfolio of TB drug candidates in history. Additionally, the TB Alliance drives efforts to ensure regulatory approval, country adoption of new regimens, and widespread availability of new drug regimens to patients.For more information, please access the website: www.tballiance.org .
TB Alliance manages the largest pipeline of new TB drugs in history. Pretoria:
Boardwalk Office Park, Block 1/Suite 5, 107 Haymeadow Street, Faerie Glen, Pretoria 0043, South Africa • +27 12 991 6328