The Conservation Specialist is a member of the WHC Consulting team, providing technical advice to corporations for the inclusion of biodiversity as part of sustainability goals and operations.
In this role, the Conservation Specialist:
- Identifies biodiversity-inspired solutions to business challenges
- Works closely with business representatives globally to design sound biodiversity, conservation, nature-based climate solutions, and stakeholder engagement initiatives.
- Provides property-scale technical support and guidance, in a culturally mindful manner, to diverse teams of employees seeking third-party recognition
- Develops innovative and accurate scopes of work to meet client needs
- Manages events and projects on time and within budget
- Identifies tools, BMPs, technologies, and initiatives useful in the promotion and execution of corporate biodiversity efforts by maintaining fluency in contemporary knowledge and trends
- Takes part in the design and planning of corporate-wide conservation strategies for business across various industry sectors
- Builds relevant content for, and leads, in-person and virtual trainings and workshops
- Conducts research supporting grant projects, contract proposals, and projects
- Represents the organization in external groups and maintains an active conservation network
- Collaborates with other WHC departments in various capacities
- Undergraduate degree in a natural science or related field, Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge of a range of ecosystems, resident and migratory species, restoration techniques, habitat management practices, biodiversity quantification methodologies, and/or similar
- 2 years of professional experience applying ecological knowledge to real-world contexts
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and have an entrepreneurial attitude
- Excellent English communication (verbal and written), additional language skills are a bonus
- Computer skills must include MS Office (Word, Excel) and ArcGIS
WHC has a strong commitment to work-life balance and backs up this commitment with a generous benefits package. Full-time employees starting with the organization accrue up to 20 days of vacation and 10 days of sick leave on an annual basis. All employees can take advantage of paid time off, including 2 volunteer days, 2 floating holidays, and 10 observed holidays per year. WHC offers health, vision and dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability, life and AD&D insurance at little to no cost to the employee. WHC also contributes to employee's 401K after one year of service, with no employee-match needed.