Andes is harnessing the power of microbes to develop novel seeds for a future generation of regenerative agriculture.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced scientist to join our team to build bacteria-based technologies. The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out scientific experiments pertaining to building new strains and testing strains for new product development. The project will combine microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry and analytical chemistry. The candidate will work as part of a collaborative team help support the mission of scientific team at Andes. The candidate will be working closely with senior scientists, research associates or technicians.
Location: Emeryville, CAResponsibilities
Qualifications and Experience
- Conduct a project independently (demonstrated ability to independently plan, execute and analyze experiments within the given timeline.
- Experience in gene/protein expression in bacteria with troubleshooting abilities.
- Experience in metabolic engineering bench work (e.g., primer design, gene deletion construct design, phenotype analysis, cloning, Gibson assembly etc.).
- Perform various types of PCRs (gradient PCR, qPCR, qRT-PCR) and troubleshoot PCR technique related issues.
- Effectively design strategies to clone/sub-clone a gene and build new plasmids.
- Develop new biochemical and analytical assays and optimize in-house or kit-based assays.
- Prepare and submit samples for DNA sequencing & interpret the resulting data.
- Maintain viable stocks of improved strains.
- Assist scientists in the strain engineering process (mutagenesis and genetic transformation)
- Teach and train RAs for transformants, mutant strain analysis for a desired phenotype & genotypes.
- Interpretation, statistical analysis & reporting of experimental data in a timely manner.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy, with meticulous attention to detail throughout your work.
- Excellent communication and effective time management skills.
- Excellent record keeping using electronic lab notebook.
- Excellent organization skills and high-level of professionalism.
- Excellent adaptability and experience of managing direct reports.
- Mentor & train other team members as required.
- Contribute intellectually to strain optimization efforts.
- Track relevant IP, literature & technological developments in the scientific literature and give presentations as needed.
- Draft and write SOP's; ensure adherence to SOP standards.
- Use best practices at work.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Microbial Genetics or a related discipline.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Excellence in cloning, Gibson assembly and bacterial transformation.
- Experience with microbial physiology/biochemistry.
- Highly experienced in PCR, Q-PCR and q-RT-PCR.
- Experience with gel electrophoresis (DNA/protein), plasmid extraction, gel extraction, colonies screening.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and troubleshooting biochemical assays.
- Experience with genomic sequence analysis & interpretation.
- Excellent organizational skills and adhere to laboratory protocols.
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt and excel in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot (or prevent) problematic situations/experimental events.
- Work with various teams and establish healthy working relationships with other employees.
- Follow instructions given by managers and meet every deadline.
- Compile research results and present to the leadership team.
The applicant must be authorized to work in the U.S.What we offer
- Strain screening experience.
- Basic experience in bioinformatics, genomics & transcriptomics.
- Experience with handling automation.
- Experience in the field of plant-microbe interaction.
- Data organization and reporting with Microsoft Excel, R, JMP or Tableau.
- Competitive package in an early-stage, disruptive startup.
- Stock options.