At Metagenomi, we are accelerating innovation in cell and gene therapy with a wave of proprietary CRISPR-based systems to accurately edit DNA where current technologies cannot. Our metagenomics-powered discovery platform and analytical expertise reveal novel cellular machinery sourced from otherwise unknown organisms. We adapt and forge these naturally evolved systems into powerful therapeutic tools that can be leveraged by partners and fuel our own pipeline of potentially curative medicines. Our goal is to revolutionize gene editing and unlock its power for the benefit of patients around the world.About the Role:
We are seeking a motivated individual for a Senior Research Associate position focused on characterizing therapeutic mRNA-based gene editing systems in mammalian cells. This person will use their strong molecular and cell biology skills to solve a variety of challenges as an integral part of the Pre-Clinical Therapeutic Gene Editing team. Candidates should be enthusiastic, passionate, have attention to detail, and a desire to change the world.
The exact level of this position will be based on experience and qualifications, and as such, we encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have relevant experience or knowledge that is not reflected on your resume, we welcome you to include a comment explaining any additional details you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.Job Responsibilities:
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Perform first-of-its-kind gene editing experiments in tissue culture
- Maintain, subculture, and bank mammalian cell lines and primary cells
- Purify nucleic acids and mRNA from cultured cells/tissue samples and assay gene editing outcomes by PCR, NGS, ELISA, Western Blotting, and/or flow cytometry
- Develop assays to assess the effectiveness of therapeutic gene editing in animal models
- Gather and analyze experimental data
- Prepare accurate and timely data summaries, contribute to writing of reports and present findings to key stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned
- BS or MS in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline
- Custom assay development experience
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- 4+ years of relevant research experience using molecular biology skill sets
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Track record of challenging oneself to enhance scientific skills and knowledge
- Ability to efficiently manage time and workflow, and work independently as well as being part of a results-oriented team
- Hands on experience with genome editing technologies in mammalian cells preferred
- Gene editing by CRISPR Cas9 or other nucleases
- Experience delivering mRNA to cells using electroporation or lipid nanoparticles
- Experience culturing primary cells, especially hepatocytes
Why work at Metagenomi?
- We are passionate about developing technologies derived from microbial-rich ecosystems that have the power to enable therapeutic development and the potential to cure devastating disease.
- We have cultivated an amazing culture that values teamwork, curiosity, scientific rigor, and fun.
- Metagenomi offers competitive salary, annual target bonus, equity in an early-stage startup, and a comprehensive benefits plan, including 401(k) matching, a retirement safe harbor plan, and other perks.
At Metagenomi, we know that our people drive our success. Metagenomi provides an open, collegial, and friendly work environment where we empower people and provide them with opportunities to develop their long-term career. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in and value diversity and inclusion. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to help.