Position Title: Senior Director, Discovery Biology
Stealth BioTherapeutics is an innovative, clinical stage biopharmaceutical company committed to bringing patients mitochondria-targeted therapies. Driven by a desire to help patients with unmet medical needs, our team collaborates with top-tier institutions, physicians, and scientists to develop the next generation of therapies focusing on mitochondrial dysfunction in orphan diseases. Position Summary:
Reporting directly to our Chief R&D Officer, we are seeking an innovative scientific leader with substantial biotech experience to play a critical role in defining the direction of our future drug discovery efforts, with an emphasis on neurological disorders.
As a key member of our research team, this seasoned self-starter will be actively involved in progressing current programs and identifying new targets and therapeutics for the treatment of diseases resulting from mitochondrial dysfunction. This position will also contribute significantly to pipeline strategies leveraging our proprietary targeted delivery technology to deliver therapeutics (e.g., small molecules, peptides, oligonucleotides) to mitochondria.
Working in a multidisciplinary team environment, this highly visible role will focus on applying in vitro and in vivo pharmacology expertise with an emphasis on neurology, to expand our portfolio of projects. Primary responsibilities include seeking out global centers of expertise and managing research primarily through collaborations with KOLs and academic institutions, biotech organizations and contract research organizations. Responsibilities:
- Lead efforts to identify and validate therapeutic targets through partnering with KOLs and overseeing in-house screening, as well as surveying technology and leveraging expertise from CROs for the development of in vitro and in vivo assays.
- Using drug discovery experience, advance individual programs through pre-clinical stage-gates.
- Provide strong scientific leadership and expert input across all drug discovery programs.
- Oversee existing academic research collaborations and seek additional opportunities to collaborate with innovative labs which can help advance Company objectives, particularly targeting neurology applications.
- Enable cross-discipline alignment within the Company to ensure efficient translation from non-clinical in vivo pharmacology to early clinical development.
- Contribute to the critical review of the competitive landscape in mitochondrial therapeutics and provide strategic assessments of the discovery pipeline and potential partnerships.
- Contribute to scientific publications and actively participate at relevant conferences.
- Participate in the development of patent applications, drafting of investigators' brochures, and pharmacology-related regulatory submissions.
- History of achievement in biotech companies including evidence of using sound scientific judgement to advance a pipeline of assets. Experience in mitochondrial medicine a plus.
- Self-starter and innovative thinker who is comfortable working both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate, in both oral and written form, with varying levels of complexity to a range of audiences.
- Ability to effectively interact with scientists at all levels in-house and externally with professionalism and confidentiality.
- Strong problem-solving and data-based decision-making.
- Experience in KOL interactions and oversight of CROs.
- Ability to apply broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories as they apply to mitochondria-focused drug discovery.
- Ph.D. degree with at least 8 years of relevant experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry. Demonstrated expertise in cellular and/or molecular biology or related discipline with an emphasis on applications in neurology preferred. Knowledge of mitochondrial disorders and therapeutics a plus.
- Proven ability to design and execute studies, including target identification, validation and in vitro / in vivo pharmacology, and experience in translational biology.
- Previous experience managing research through CROs and leading projects through academic collaboration.