At Metagenomi, we are accelerating innovation in cell and gene therapy with a wave of proprietary CRISPR-based systems to accurately edit DNA where current technologies cannot. Our metagenomics-powered discovery platform and analytical expertise reveal novel cellular machinery sourced from otherwise unknown organisms. We adapt and forge these naturally evolved systems into powerful therapeutic tools that can be leveraged by partners and fuel our own pipeline of potentially curative medicines. Our goal is to revolutionize gene editing and unlock its power for the benefit of patients around the world.About the Role:
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Research Associate to support Metagenomi's growing Discovery Team, based in Emeryville, California. The Research Associate will play a crucial role in studying gene editing in bacteria, including assisting with assays to test the efficiency of CRISPR and non- CRISPR mediated gene editing in E. coli . We are looking for enthusiastic candidates who want to develop microbial enzymes into therapeutics that treat human diseases. The exact level of this position will be based on experience and qualifications, and as such, we encourage all interested candidates to apply.Responsibilities:
?Relevant experience and mindset:
- Perform, improve, and innovate in vitro assays that test gene editing capabilities and efficiencies by different CRISPR or non-CRISPR systems
- Examine the activity of gene-editing systems in E. coli - based assays
- Characterize enzymes' activities in both cell-free expression systems and as purified proteins
- Work with other scientists to troubleshoot and overcome experimental challenges
- Optimize bacterial growth conditions to produce maximum editing efficiency
- Maintain bacterial cultures, freezer stocks, plasmid, and oligonucleotide collections
- Identify novel CRISPR systems capable of editing both bacterial and mammalian DNA sequences
- Contribute data and expertise to multiple ongoing company projects
Preferred additional qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering or a related discipline required
- At least 1 year of experience in life sciences research required, preferably as full - time employee
- Experience with molecular biology, assay development, DNA extraction and purification, PCR, PAGE required
- Track record of challenging oneself to enhance technical skills, join new projects and develop new knowledge
- Must excel at scientific record-keeping, as experimental designs and results will need to be communicated effectively across the company.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, particularly when collaborating with other teams with limited knowledge of your area of expertise
- Extremely organized and able to efficiently manage time and workflow, including skillfully prioritizing both long-term projects and day-to-day responsibilities
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new software and time management tools (ex: Google Suite, Slack, Geneious, etc.). Must already be comfortable with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and considerate of the needs of others
- Thrives in a fast-moving, results-oriented startup environment with urgent deadlines
- Independent and self-sufficient, but knows when to ask questions or seek support
- Self-motivated, passionate about work, and eager to continuously learn more
Why work at Metagenomi?
- 1-3 years of relevant industry experience preferred
- Experience with qPCR, protein purification, molecular cloning, bioinformatics preferred
- Experience with microbiology (cultivation or study of non-model strains), NGS, CRISPR systems preferred
- We are passionate about developing technologies derived from microbial-rich ecosystems that have the power to enable therapeutic development and the potential to cure devastating diseases.
- We have cultivated an amazing culture that values teamwork, curiosity, scientific rigor, and fun.
- Metagenomi offers a competitive salary, annual target bonus, equity in an early-stage startup, and a comprehensive benefits plan, including 401(k) matching, a retirement safe harbor plan, and other perks.
We care about our people as they are the key to our success. Metagenomi provides an open, collegial, and friendly work environment where we empower people and provide them with opportunities to develop their long-term career. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com and we would be happy to help.