Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the Bay Area? We were voted Method of the Year 2019 Nature Methods and #2 on the Scientist 2018 Top 10 innovations list. Our mission is to enable our customers to eliminate cancer.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics across the range of research and translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to make a significant impact on the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.About The Computational Biology Team
The Computational Biology team is responsible for data analysis and algorithm development in support of adding new capabilities to Mission Bio's single-cell multi-omics Tapestri platform. We work closely with the Molecular Biology development and R&D teams in order to design experiments as well as the software development team in order to productionize our work. We are driven by a passion for applied data science and continually seek to improve our skills and knowledge through curiosity-driven collaboration. Team members are located both in our Bay Area headquarters and around the US.Essential Duties And Responsibilities (Other Duties May Be Assigned)
Mission Bio is searching for an experienced Sr. Manager (or Associate Director) to lead a computational biology team focused on new product and capability development. This position will report to the Director of Computational Biology. The successful candidate will have a strong history of leading bioinformatics teams in next-generation sequencing-based product development as well as managing the activities of both junior and senior individual contributors in order to hit program milestones and timelines. The candidate should also be an expert in NGS sequencing analysis and/or algorithm development, with a desire to mentor and encourage the career development of both their direct reports as well as other members of Mission's scientific team. This team will work closely with molecular biologists in order to successfully design and carry out experiments and interact cross-functionally with our product and commercial teams as well as customers to translate findings into actively developed cutting-edge products.
Qualifications, Education, And Experience
- Hire, manage, and mentor a team of highly skilled bioinformaticians and computational biologists.
- Provide expert advice, guidance, and context to computational scientists in order to assist them in executing on their goals.
- Work with molecular biologists to design experiments expanding the capabilities of Mission Bio's single-cell Tapestri instrument.
- Represent the team at cross-functional meetings, presenting the team's work and progress, setting timelines, and assuming responsibility for the team's ability to deliver on its objectives.
- Work with peers within Mission Bio's management team to improve organizational collaboration, mentorship, and growth.
- Collaborate with the product and marketing teams as well as customers to support project planning and commercial launch.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The candidate should have:
- PhD in relevant field plus 5+ years of industry experience, 2+ years managing successful computational biology/bioinformatics product development teams.
- Strong background in working with large, multi-omics NGS datasets - from raw reads to processed data. Firm understanding of statistical methods and algorithms involved in genomic applications (e.g., variant/CNV calling, RNA expression analysis, methylomics).
- Experience working with single cell data and/or good understanding of the signal/noise relationships in single cell datasets.
- Expertise in at least one common programming language applied to data analysis (Python preferred).
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to work with both experimental and computational scientists in a collaborative environment
Powered by JazzHR