At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Computational Biologist: Content Lead
About The Role
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join our Computational Biology group. You will work closely with talented biochemists, microfluidics engineers, chemists and software engineers to support the abilities of our products to work with targeted analytes across a range of biological applications.
We are developing new assays that detect panels of analytes (RNA transcripts or proteins) to study biology at unprecedented resolution and scale. These will provide insights in diverse fields such as cancer biology, immunology, neuroscience, developmental and basic biology.
You will lead the design of targeted panels and collaborate with assay developers to deploy them as 10x products. You will choose panel members and design the appropriate detection reagents to address research needs in specific biological areas. You will integrate knowledge from scientific literature, and you will use your computational skills to analyze datasets from public repositories as well as those that we generate in-house.
You will work with colleagues from R&D, Business Development, Marketing, and Program Management to develop panels to meet a variety of scientific and strategic goals. You will also liaise with our academic collaborators to learn about their specific fields and to ensure that our products meet their needs.
You have a strong background in computational biology or bioinformatics and you have experience working with single cell data. You have a deep understanding of biology at the cellular and molecular level and you have spent time thinking about how to define cell types and cell states. You are a good programmer who can take an idea and quickly implement it in code. You are able to communicate your ideas and work effectively with an interdisciplinary team and incorporate their feedback into your analysis. You are a strategic thinker, highly motivated, proactive and flexible in changing direction and methods. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, communicate clearly and get the job done.
What You Will Be Doing
* Leading the design and deployment of targeted analyte panels to support new and on-market assays for key biological applications across healthy and disease states
* Curating panel content by integrating knowledge from literature alongside your computational analyses of public and in-house datasets
* Designing the individual detection reagents using existing or novel computational methods
* Working to balance scientific, business and strategic goals when developing the panels
To Be Successful In This Role, You Will Need
* PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. biology, bioinformatics, computational/systems biology, physics, mathematics, computer science)
* Experience working on problems involving complex biological systems at high-resolution
* Understanding of the use of gene or protein subsets to classify and identify cell types and cell states
* Experience in identifying gene or protein markers from literature research, and computational analysis of public data or novel experiments
* Experience with the computational analysis of NGS data
* Ability to apply new computational tools to derive insight from large datasets
* Experience working in an applied biological field such as immunology, tumor biology, neurobiology or similar
* Ability to work with internal and external domain experts to quickly understand their needs
* Creative problem solver who obsesses over finding useful biologically relevant information in data
* Strong programming ability in a language such as Python or R
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
* Ability to communicate complex ideas with an interdisciplinary team
* Ability to work independently
Additional Desirable Skills To Have
* Experience with computational analysis of single cell data
* Experience developing products in a commercial environment
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.