WE ARE VHB-a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries-serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
It's not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We're growing, and we hope you'll join us!
About the Position
VHB's Natural Sciences Team in Williamsburg is seeking a Contract Biologist to support our team of environmental scientists. Key responsibilities will include conducting field surveys for natural resources and assisting in the preparation of technical reports. Tasks may include wetland delineations, rare, threatened, and endangered species surveys, general floristic inventory and monitoring, stream assessments, and other natural resource inventories. Other tasks will include the preparation of field survey support and reporting documents including data forms, photo logs, memoranda and summary reports, and documentation for federal, state, and local environmental permit applications. All tasks will be performed under the guidance of our experienced scientists. Responsibilities
• Assists in the completion of primarily wetland field delineations but may also assist with the preparation of other natural resource studies (e.g. wetland functional assessments, wildlife habitat evaluations or rare species surveys).
• Assists in the collection and analysis of data using prescribed methods including field observations and the collection of environmental data samples.
• Assists project managers with development of federal, state, and local permit support documents and contributes to routine technical reports.
• Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and company policies and procedures.Skills and Attributes
• Ability and willingness to perform field work including travel on short notice, overnight(s) and/or on weekend shifts, potentially for extended periods of time
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team in remote field locations and in challenging landscape and weather conditions
• Capable of coordinating and performing multiple tasks efficiently
• Highly organized with excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Team oriented with a strong work ethic and superior problem-solving abilities
• ESRI GIS experience a plus
• Previous wetland delineation training and/or experience a plusQualifications
• Completed a Bachelor (B.S.) program in biology, environmental science, or a closely related major.
• 1-2 years of experience in applied research and/or an environmental consulting environment
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.