The Official Website of the City of New York NYC Contact NYC Jobs
Director of the Greenbelt Native Plant Center
Business Title Director of the Greenbelt Native Plant Center
Civil Service Title CITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Title Classification Non-Competitive
Job Category Constituent Services & Community Programs, Building Operations & Maintenance
Career Level Experienced (non-manager)
Work Location Willowbrook Pk Victory Blvd
Division/Work Unit SI NURSERY
# of Positions 1
Title Code No 21744
Proposed Salary Range $ 95,000.00 - $100,000.00 (Annual)
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
The mission of the Division of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City's natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. The Greenbelt Native Plant Center (GNPC) is the Division's native plant nursery and regional seed bank. Programs provide live plants, develop bulk seed and bank genetically appropriate seed to meet city and agency needs.
• With responsibility for management and operations of the GNPC, oversee the Nursery Manager, Plant Production Manager, Deputy Director and all plant production activities and operations of the 12-acre site and its programmatic areas. Oversee planning and coordination of all satellite native plant production facilities for FHNR. Report to and receive direction and guidance from Chief of the Division of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources.
• Oversee operation of the GNPC office, including supervision of office staff on issues relating to personnel, timekeeping, and purchasing and receiving; Oversee bookkeeping and reporting related to nursery plant and seed production, contracts, and budgets; Plan annual budgets and purchases.
• Prepare and oversee external contracts, for example to increase seed production or grow native plants as consolidated orders.
• Oversee goal setting, work plans, project & program management and reporting, fielding of new requests for collaboration and services, and integration of these with other FHNR natural resource programs and operations through coordination with other FHNR senior staff
• Develop and execute communication and development goals for GNPC, including identifying and applying for grants, providing nursery tours, participating in field visits, speaking at public forums, and conferences.
• Oversee communications with the NYC Parks Staten Island Borough Office and with Citywide Services to manage emergency and on-going repairs and improvements.
• Identify, develop scope of work for, and report on staffing and resource needs, including capital new needs related to physical plant.
• Direct science-related mission of GNPC
• Lead FHNR native plant services and optimization planning for all plant production facilities (including seed production sites and FHNR Citywide Nursery) to evaluate and eventually implement plans for increased effectiveness in meeting restoration and biodiversity missions.
• Direct GNPC's volunteers, interns, and educational partnerships.
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
1. Demonstrated expertise managing a plant nursery, contracts, physical plant, facilities maintenance and operations, and technical staff.
2. Demonstrated expertise in native plant production, conservation, use in restoration applications and seed banking.
3. A master's degree from an accredited university with specialization in environmental sciences, horticulture, or a related subject.
4. Strong knowledge of government operations.
5. Excellent writing, supervisory, administrative and inter-personal skills.
6. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
7. Valid New York State driver license.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. *Posting period extended to 10/22/2021. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. References will be required upon request.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 473884 Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link:
https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 473884.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 473884 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 473884.
Work Location Residency Requirement
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required within 90 days of hiring for all other candidates.
POSTING DATE 2021/09/24
POST UNTIL 10/22/2021
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer