Sr. Environmental Specialist
Heill Safety Solutions is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of Sr. Environmental Specialist in Modesto, California, for our client.
Our client is looking for someone who knows California environmental permitting extremely well. This individual must be able to cultivate relationships with regulatory authorities while having the ability to negotiate and get their message across clearly without becoming adversarial. This individual needs to be a quick, out of the box thinker and able to come up with solutions that satisfy both our client and the environmental regulators that govern them. This individual must be a self starter, be driven, know air, water and waste permitting while being able to work in a cross functional team. This is a position where you will literally, need to hit the ground running.
Partnering with various management groups and teams, this position will provide direct support, oversight and implementation of environmental management systems including ISO 14001 (EMS), Title V air permit compliance, wastewater compliance, hazardous materials management, water and energy management, storm water management, and other related environmental programs and compliance related activities for regulator and internal standards. The ideal person will serve as a leader and change agent that drives our clients environmental performance, compliance, and culture as they aim to be the container glass industry leader in environmental practices and positive impact. We are seeking an individual who is a self-starter, can work independently in a dynamic work environment, and is well versed in managing and continuously improving environmental programs in a heavy manufacturing environment. This individual will work directly with the EHS Manager and cross functionally with site employees to ensure implementation of all relevant programs. In addition, the individual will support select occupational health and safety programs. What You Will Do The Sr. Environmental Specialist's primary focus will be to plan within established goals and implement consistent and thorough environmental programs and processes in all areas of glass operations. This includes but is not limited to:
1. Planning, overseeing and executing projects that drive to the organization's goals to eliminate or mitigate safety hazards in the workplace. Includes developing KPIs to assess environmental program effectiveness.
2. Developing, authoring, facilitating and monitoring environmental programs and policies for facility leadership to identify, evaluate and control safety and health hazards. Participates in the development of guidelines, SOPs, procedures and policies.
3. Ensuring environmental program compliance with various media including large quantity generator hazardous waste, non-hazardous wastes, Title V air emissions, greenhouse gas, water, wastewater, spill prevention countermeasures and controls, and internal requirements.
4. Coordinating all aspects of ISO14001 program to ensure conformance by working with on environmental data, metrics and document management systems, annual aspect scoring and development of objectives and targets.
5. Supporting development, implementation and assessment of Process Safety Management program elements.
6. Conducting and coordinating environmental related communication and training programs to educate facility employees in principles, practices and regulations on environmental protection.
7. Delivering and coordinating environmental/safety training and driving completion across departments in collaboration with the training department.
8. Establishing environmental audit policies and ensure audits are conducted, as required, and developing corrective actions for any deficiencies uncovered during audits.
9. Conducting facility environmental assessments to identify hazards, risks and evaluate program effectiveness.
10.Recommending corrective action where environmental exposures and hazards exist; identifying and resolving exposures that contribute to the reduction of these exposures.
11.Overseeing and tracking implementation of corrective actions to mitigate environmental risks.
12.Support coordination of on-site environmental contractor staff and third-party air permit monitoring services and related purchase orders to ensure services provided are consistent with service agreement requirements, delivered to schedule, and meet internal customer expectations
13.Conducting environmental incident investigations, developing and recommending resolutions to prevent recurrence, and working with appropriate personnel to implement solutions.
14.Preparing and submitting compliance/regulatory safety and environmental reports and manages regulatory documentation.
15.Leading the promotion of recycling, waste minimization, substitution of hazardous chemicals, and water and energy conservation.
16.Providing medical services such as First Aid (sprains, strains, abrasions and burns), emergency treatment or initial illness treatment to employees who become ill or sustain an injury while at work when Safety personnel are not available.
17.Planning, organizing and executing EHS outreach events.
18.Supporting ‘weekend on-call' rotation with other EHS team members.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
● Demonstrated ability to negotiate, recommend and implement solutions for moderate to complex problems.
● Demonstrated familiarity with Federal, State and local environmental laws and regulations (CAA, CWA, RCRA), environmental auditing, regulatory reporting, ISO 14000 and Title V permit program management.
● Experience developing and conducting effective training programs and delivering formal presentations.
● Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management.
● Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
● Ability to execute assigned tasks autonomously and provide strategic guidance on development and implementation of processes.
● Skilled in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
● Skilled in defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts and drawing valid conclusions. Experience interpreting an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Desired Qualifications
● Bachelor's degree in Environmental Management, Engineering, Chemistry, or Biology plus 7 years of Environmental or Environmental, Health & Safety experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility; OR Master's degree in Engineering, Environmental/Ecological Science, Chemistry or Biology plus 5 years of Environmental or Environmental Health & Safety experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
● Professional certification (i.e., Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Hazardous Materials Professional (CHMP), Registered Environmental Manager (REM), Registered Environmental Professional (REP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP)), or similar.
● Previous relevant experience in a glass or heavy industry manufacturing EHS programs; fast paced environment.
● Willing to start early morning and possibly be on call 24 hours, when necessary.
Location, Travel, Schedule
● Modesto, CA
● Travel, as required but anticipate
● Full-Time Position
● Start Date: ASAP
Company DescriptionWe are a full service EHS Safety Consulting Company. Our Managing partners and staff are recognized EHS Professionals. The majority of our clients are high tech, R&D, manufacturing, construction and/or agriculture. We are proud that all of our staff are highly qualified individuals most with Masters, CSP, and/or CIH. We have a strong commitment to supporting membership and encouraging volunteerism / engagement in safety societies (AIHA, ASSE, etc.), and continuing education for our team members as well as students getting into the EHS profession (we fund a student endowment to support students EHS study's at a regional university).