Associate Director, Environment, Health & Safety - Gene Therapy
Cambridge, MA or Woburn, MA /
Ultragenyx - Gene Therapy - Facilities /
At Ultragenyx, we fundamentally believe that taking real impactful action to care for the needs of patients and our people is always the right thing to do. To achieve this goal, our vision is to lead the future of rare disease medicine. For us, this means going where other biopharma companies won't go - challenging the status quo and creating a new model that advances our field so more patients and caregivers can benefit from life-changing treatments. We do this by following the science, applying a novel rapid development approach, making innovative medicines at fair and reasonable prices, and creating a collaborative ecosystem to reach patients in ways that are most meaningful for them.
Our commitment and care for patients extends to our people, so culture is an essential cornerstone for Ultragenyx. We remain continuously focused on creating a supportive and inclusive environment of profound learning and growth - so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where we would be proud for our family, friends and children to work.
If you want to have a meaningful impact, do the best work of your career, and grow a lot, both professionally and personally, come join our team. During the COVID-19 Outbreak, we are committed to our hiring process. The health and safety of our employees and prospective employees take priority which means at this time our approach will include video discussions, interviews, and onboarding. Position Summary ultra
impact - Make a difference for those who need it most
Ultragenyx is seeking an Associate Director to lead Environment, Health & Safety at its Boston locations. This leader will establish Site EHS vision and policy, oversee implementation of the Global EHS Management System, establish roles and responsibilities for program implementation, and provide subject matter expertise to site senior leadership. The Associate Director will play a key role in driving a culture of excellence in EHS and will guide the organization towards becoming a leader in the Life Sciences industry.
- Understand the site's business environment including pipeline, staff expectations, functions and services, and applicable regulatory and industry requirements.
- You will establish Site EHS goals, evaluate and report on Site EHS performance, and audit EHS Management System effectiveness.
- You will assemble the appropriate set of multidisciplinary professionals which integrate people, process and technology to guarantee a safe and healthy workplace and minimize environmental impact.
- Perform hazard identification, risk assessment and gap analysis of site activities and develop risk-based corrective action plans and programs. Key areas include Laboratory Safety, Biological Safety, Gene Therapy Manufacturing, and Hazardous Chemicals & Waste Management.
- Assign staff members to fulfill regulated roles (e.g. Institutional Biosafety Officer, Chemical Hygiene Officer) and represent site as Subject Matter Expert on technical matters.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulatory requirements and conformance to industry standards.
- Help design new facilities and major revisions of existing facilities to ensure EHS considerations are in place.
- Seek out and engage with stakeholders to determine explicit and implicit needs, expectations and current business environment.
- Maintain awareness of advancing technology, innovations in safe workplace practices, environmental design, and operational practices which impact employee safety and health, the environment, and external perceptions of the company.
- Promote EHS awareness in a manner that encourages cooperation and improves enthusiasm and morale.
- MS degree in the science related field or BS degree candidates with strong industry experience.
- 10 years of experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Professional certification (e.g. CBSP, CIH, CSP) required.
- Experience with biological (BSL-2+) and chemical safety in research and development laboratories.
- Ideal candidate also has experience with GMP gene therapy manufacturing operations.
- Knowledge of industry and federal, state and local regulatory requirements.
- You can be located in Cambridge or Woburn with travel between both sites with flexibility.
- You have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with ability to shift and prioritize projects.
- Comprehensive medical plans and health savings account
- Fitness reimbursement
- Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Paid family care leave
- Accrual 3 weeks vacation + Summer and Winter closures (2 weeks) and observed national holidays
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for qualified individuals with disabilities and for qualified disabled veterans in job application procedures, as required by applicable law. If you have any difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact Talent Acquisition by calling: (415) 483-8800 or by emailing us at email@example.com . For electronic email and mail inquiries, please include a description of your requested accommodation, your name and contact information. Note to External Recruiters
: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to : firstname.lastname@example.org .