The purpose of this document is to outline the job responsibilities of the Environmental Safety & Health Coordinator position at GEKA Manufacturing Corporation. Under the general direction of the President, GEKA US and Quality Control and Planning Manager, this position is accountable to manage, oversee and carryout Environmental Health & Safety (ESH) programs and policies relating to applicable local, state and federal regulations at the plant level. The primary responsibilities of this position include planning, developing, implementing, and administering ESH programs. Interfacing with other management and hourly personnel regarding safety issues is imperative in this position in order to reduce accidents/incidents and maintain safety at the GEKA US facility.
Main accountabilities and tasks
1. Assist in maintaining the ongoing development, implementation, and effectiveness of the company ESH programs and carry them out according to company programs and policies.
2. Develop and implement policies and practices to identify hazardous conditions within the workplace and external environments.
3. Investigate accidents and environmental incidents and liaising with engineers, management to identify causes of accidents and prevent reoccurrence.
4. Ongoing maintenance of SDS records.
5. Lead safety team committee and meetings.
6. Report on accident data utilizing a computer database to track trends and injury rates.
7. Ensure enforcement of OSHA, EPA or related regulations and company safety policies and procedures.
8. Execute timely coordination and communications in all areas internal and external to our business. Must periodically present safety information to management.
9. Maintain a safe atmosphere in order to promote safe work practices and a positive safety culture.
10. Use professional safety tools/knowledge such as ergonomics, management skills, industrial hygiene, presentation skills, etc. to convey and improve safety.
11. Position will require handling of highly confidential safety and medical information.
12. Assist Human Resources with return-to-work program and workers compensation claim activity.
13. Lead continuous improvement projects for environmental safety and health services departments including ergonomics, lean activities, cost savings, etc.
14. Perform additional special projects and assignments as assigned by President GEKA US
15. Proactively engage and support company initiatives designed to promote a culture of safe working, environmental protection, and continual improvement
Desired experience and qualifications
Work experience: Minimum 3 years' experience in safety or related field
Education: Bachelor's degree in related field preferred or equivalent education or experience in similar role
Ability to assertively and efficiently multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
Ability to communicate safety information to all audiences
Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, e-mail systems and other computer programs
In order to perform the essential functions of this position, with or without reasonable accommodation, the employee must be able to see, hear, talk and use hands and fingers to operate computer hardware and peripherals.
Environmental, Safety & Health requirements (ESH)
1. Complies with local and global QESH policies
2. Performs its functions following and understanding job safety analysis and is aware of workplace hazards
3. Avoids and reports unsafe behavior and unsafe conditions
4. Uses and maintains personal protective equipment where required
5. Reports accidents and near accidents
6. Complies with environmental and safety rules, policies, work instructions, manuals, etc.
7. Performs its functions understanding the impact of these on the environment
8. Participates in activities to safeguard the environment
Travel requirement: Occasional travel may be required (up to 5% annually)
Company DescriptionThrough its well-known brands (Mixpac, Transcodent, Cox, Medmix, Haselmeier and Geka), Sulzer APS develops and delivers innovative products and services for liquid application and mixing solutions within the healthcare, adhesives and beauty markets. Our IP-protected applicator solutions make our customers' products precise, safe, unique and more sustainable, leveraging our industry-leading expertise in plastic-injection molding, two-component mixing, drug delivery and micro-brushes.
Sulzer is a global leader in fluid engineering. We specialize in pumping, agitation, mixing, separation and application technologies for fluids of all types. Our customers benefit from our commitment to innovation, performance and quality and from our responsive network of 180 world-class production facilities and service centers across the globe. Sulzer has been headquartered in Winterthur, Switzerland, since 1834. In 2020, our 15'000 employees delivered revenues of CHF 3.3 billion. Our shares are traded on the SIX Swiss Exchange (SIX: SUN).