The research group of Dr. Andreas Puschnik at the Chan Zuckerberg Biohub is looking for passionate and talented Scientists (in particular, recent/soon-to-be PhD graduates or postdoctoral-level researchers). Our lab is interested in studying virus-host interactions with particular focus on 1) what are the cellular factors that are hijacked by viruses to establish successful infection, 2) how does the innate immune system interfere with different steps in the viral life cycle, and 3) can we modulate pro- and antiviral pathways for therapeutic purposes. To address these, we employ a combination of large-scale CRISPR screens, genetics/cell engineering, development of reporter viruses, and molecular and cell biology techniques.
Examples of our work are listed below:
* Kulsuptrakul et al. A genome-wide CRISPR screen identifies UFMylation and TRAMP-like complexes as host factors required for hepatitis A virus infection. Cell Rep. (2021)
* Wang*, Simoneau* et al. Genetic Screens Identify Host Factors for SARS-CoV-2 and Common Cold Coronaviruses. Cell. (2021)
* Ngo et al. The ER membrane protein complex is required to ensure correct topology and stable expression of flavivirus polyproteins. Elife (2019)
* Puschnik et al. A Small-Molecule Oligosaccharyltransferase Inhibitor with Pan-flaviviral Activity. Cell Rep. (2017)
* Marceau*, Puschnik* et al. Genetic dissection of Flaviviridae host factors through genome-scale CRISPR screens. Nature. (2016)
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub ("CZ Biohub) is an independent nonprofit medical research organization based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub supports scientific research to cure, prevent or manage disease in our childrens lifetime. Our mission is to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies which will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. We harness the power and possibility of collaboration to drive discovery and set the standard for open, impactful science. For more information, please visit [
What We Provide
* Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease
* A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise
* Existing collaborations within CZ Biohub: Bioengineering, Computational Microscopy, Data Science, Genome Editing, Infectious Diseases, and Quantitative Cell Science
* Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at the three partner campuses (Berkeley, Stanford, and UCSF) and at partner institutions in the Bay Area and beyond
* Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience
* PhD (or equivalent) in Molecular and Cell Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Bioengineering or related disciplines
* Highly motivated and passionate to pursue fundamental research with translational applications in mind
* Strong interest and hands-on expertise in any or multiple of the following areas: molecular virology, immunology, cell biology, functional genomics
* Experience in mammalian cell culture, CRISPR gene editing, DNA/RNA/protein molecular biology techniques are desired
* Familiarity with viral infection experiments are desired but not required
* To apply, please provide a cover letter, your most recent CV and contact information of 2-3 references
_Chan Zuckerberg Biohub requires all employees, contractors, and interns, regardless of work location or type of role, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and show proof to Human Resources. New CZ Biohub staff must be fully vaccinated within 6 weeks of their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is approved for those who are unable to get vaccinated because of a disability, or who choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance._
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.