Lygos develops novel microbial technologies for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals. Lygos identifies expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful processes used today and develops safe, renewable routes to the same products in order to achieve a more sustainable future. Lygos is seeking to hire a skilled Sr. Research Associate to help drive our development of new microbial strains for the production of organic acids and cannabinoids. We offer a diverse, respectful and supportive workplace.
The successful applicant will work as part of a collaborative team to engineer microbial strains for improved production of bio-based chemicals. The position will involve the construction of combinatorial strain libraries, measurement and analysis of strain performance, and the development and application of assays to improve enzyme properties or interrogate cellular conditions.
* Design new DNA constructs and PCR primers for genome integration and plasmid-based expression using molecular biology software packages
* Lead efforts performing PCR, molecular cloning, and transformation to build large numbers of new microbial strains for production testing
* Construct and validate combinatorial libraries for protein engineering efforts
* Validate strain and plasmid construction using PCR and DNA sequencing methodologies
* Lead the maintenance of Lygos strain collection and LIMS
* Design experiments to screen production performance of new microbial strains and libraries and interpret resulting data
* Engage in technical discussions and research planning
* Maintain good laboratory practices and develop standard operating protocols
* Train and mentor junior research associates
The candidate will work with minimal supervision. The candidate will also be expected to work collaboratively with Lygos fermentation, downstream processing and analytical departments. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements
* Bachelor of Science / Master of Science, or equivalent degree in molecular biology or biochemistry (or related field) with 8+ years in-lab molecular biology experience for BS candidates and 5+ years for MS candidates (academic or industrial).
* Experience with general lab procedures, sterile technique, data interpreting/reporting and be comfortable in a fast-paced, multitasking environment.
* Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration.
* Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
* Energetic, creative, team player.
* Experience in a synthetic biology/metabolic engineering startup a plus.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations
* Knowledge and experience of working with yeasts or bacteria.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to motivate team members and support a strong, healthy, collaborative laboratory culture.
* Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes.
Authorization to work lawfully in the United States for Lygos required. Visa sponsorship unavailable.