The Laboratory Supervisor receives sufficient authority from, and is accountable to, the Business Unit Manager or appointed designate for the successful completion of assigned duties and responsibilities and has the authority to take action necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this position and to identify the occurrence of departures from the quality system or from the procedures for performing tests and/or calibrations, so long as such action does not deviate from established company guidelines, is consistent with sound technical and business judgment, and follows the practices of the laboratory. Acts as back up to Laboratory/Quality Manager in his/her absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Demonstrates and promotes the company vision
* Regular attendance and punctuality
* Assist the Business Unit Manager in managing daily operations of the microbiology department including scheduling, supervising, instructing, monitoring, and assisting in the performance of manual and instrumental analyses.
* Perform timely and accurate analysis of samples to meet customer commitments. This includes, but is not limited to, sample preparation for analysis, sample analyses, data review and reduction, and providing data interpretation and opinions.
* Has authority to execute a work stoppage in the event of a quality issue that would require the lab to stop operations until investigation gives assurance that work can begin.
* Work with direct supervisor or director to commence work as a result of a work stoppage.
* Use appropriate quality measures, which meet or exceed the standards, set by, government regulations, and company requirements, when performing assigned tasks.
* Promote the company image through the exercising sound and ethical business practices as related to the public and our customers.
* Understand and follow Quality System documents relevant to responsibilities, e.g., Quality Manual, Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs), and Test Methods.
* Perform microbiological testing on client samples using appropriate instruments and techniques.
* Troubleshoot equipment/instruments utilized and performs minor repairs. Coordinate major instrument repairs with repair person(s). Establish and implement procedures to ensure that assigned equipment is properly cleaned, calibrated/standardized, and adequate for the testing performed and is maintained in good working order. This includes maintaining equipment operating instructions, manuals, and required logbooks. Ensures all regulatory procedures pertaining to sample testing are followed correctly, if they are in normal course of work.
* Maintain a neat and accurate record system; keeps accurate records of work performed on a daily basis and as needed for quality control results.
* Assist laboratory staff in making sure that analytical work done under quality system requirements.
* Review and evaluate test data generated within assigned area of responsibility for technical accuracy, as well as SOP and test method compliance. Perform and provide basic evaluation of statistical tests to determine the quality accuracy of data and report values.
* Investigate to determine the cause of non-conformances that are identified, determine and implement corrective action; and follow-up to ensure that the corrective action resolved the problem.
* Create and review reports.
* Review applications, conduct interviews, and make hiring decisions for the position reporting to this position.
* Train and document the training of assigned technical staff on test methods, formal SOPs, regulations, and laboratory policies/procedures applicable to area of responsibility.
* Review annually the performance of personnel that report directly to this position and provide written reviews to the Business Unit Manager for approval.
* Remain current on technical, industry, and business advancements and trends as suggested by the Business Unit Manager.
* Maintain a perpetual state of readiness and willingness to respond to the queries and needs of clients, staff, and coworkers; assures that clients are kept informed and their needs are met.
* Adhere to all pertinent company health, safety, and environmental regulations.
* Perform bacterial/mold culture identifications as requested.
Perform other duties as assigned.
* Conducts all activities in a safe and efficient manner