Terviva is a food and agriculture company committed to transforming the food and agriculture industry by making food production more accessible and equitable to farmers, and more sustainable for our communities and our planet.
We develop and cultivate high yielding Pongamia trees that produce tasty and nourishing plant-based oil and protein food ingredients; hence our mantra is: Plant millions of trees to feed billions of people!
We value and strive towards diversity and inclusion as an essential part of who we are. We recruit teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know our diversity makes us stronger.
Learn more at [
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Terviva is looking for an experienced biologist with strong data management and organizational skills who also has demonstrated experience with GIS and related geospatial tools. The The Data Management Biologist & GeoSpatial Analyst will report to the Vice President of Tree Research and Development and be responsible for organizing, archiving, and retrieving historical tree growth and performance observations (e.g. flowering and pod abundance), as well as creating standardized processes to facilitate the reliable and efficient capture of various data streams. This person will work closely with all Tree R&D staff to help ensure that various projects remain on-task to report observations and summary reports in a timely manner.
Terviva has developed an extensive library of pongamia cultivars. Tree R&D is charged with monitoring growth and field performance of these cultivars across multiple tree plantings, and interpreting these data in the context of distinct geographies, climates, and cultural manipulations. The successful candidate will develop and implement an integrated GIS database to encompass geospatial data (e.g. various planting sites and individual trees identified by locations within each site) coupled with observations of tree growth and performance, associated with a growing body of related phenotypic observations, while also accounting for climatic variables and cultural practices. Another key responsibility will be to work with Tree R&D staff to periodically generate data-rich summary reports pertaining to tree biology and field performance in various company geographies.
Tree R&D works closely with Tree Operations to develop procedures for managing pongamia nursery and field operations and cultural practices. As such, the person in this role must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to maintain open channels of communication across teams, ensuring that relevant activities are logged.
The candidate should have demonstrated experience with geospatial techniques and related software (e.g. ArcGIS) in order to build a GIS database encompassing geographic, soils, and climatic information, establishment history, cultural manipulations, and relevant historical observations related to individual trees. The candidate should also be adept with various scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl, or R) to facilitate the uploading, merging, and extraction of various data files for subsequent task-specific analyses. In addition, the candidate should have familiarity with automated phenotyping systems (e.g. aerial or terrestrial multi-spectral imagery, LiDAR, etc.) to facilitate managing and interpreting output streams from these systems.
The Data Management Biologist & GeoSpatial Analyst position ultimately will make a direct and daily impact on a core Terviva goal: to create and introduce a new set of delicious, nutritious and sustainably made food products and make them broadly accessible to everyone.
Required Skills and Education
* A bachelor's degree in a relevant biological or environmental science.
* Relevant coursework (degree or certificate) or work experience utilizing geospatial analysis and associated tools in managing a biological resource.
* 3+ years of professional and research experience emphasizing biological resources.
* Proven proficiency with geospatial tools such as ArcGIS.
* Strong familiarity with statistical analyses and related tools.
* Demonstrated proficiency in building, manipulating, and maintaining databases, including the application of scripting tools to merge and extract related information.
* Familiarity with automated phenotyping systems, especially as applied to perennial crops.
* Strong familiarity with all basic professional software packages (Gmail, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.).
* Ability to work closely with interdisciplinary teams to generate visually persuasive data-driven reports.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to interface at all levels of management.
Additional Conditions of Employment
* Candidate will be subject to a background check.
* Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States without Visa support.
Working at Terviva offers you:
* The opportunity to make a difference in a fast-growing, mission-driven company that intends to make an impact on sustainability, climate change and inequality by partnering with farmers to plant millions of trees to feed billions of people!
* Competitive pay and benefits with potential annual bonus.
* Medical and dental, vision and life insurance (employee premium fully paid by Terviva).
* Generous leave package.
* Stock options, commensurate with role and experience.
COVID-19 Recruiting Process in Place:
* Remote interview process will be followed.
* Personal protective equipment will be provided according to current safety guidelines
* Temperature screenings will be required for all in-person interviews
* Social distancing guidelines will be implemented.
* Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures are in place.
* Terviva requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before reporting for work.
To apply, please respond to the company position below.
Terviva is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status or characteristic. Our leadership team is dedicated to this policy and all employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit and business need.