JUST Capital is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to build an economy that works for all Americans by helping companies improve how they serve all their stakeholders - workers, customers, communities, the environment, and shareholders. We believe in stakeholder capitalism, that business and markets can and must be a greater force for good, and that by shifting the resources of the $19 trillion private sector, we can address systemic issues at scale, including economic inequality, racial inequity, and climate change. Guided by the priorities of the public, our research, rankings, programs, and initiatives help measure and advance corporate performance in the stakeholder economy.The Opportunity
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior leader looking to build out a portfolio of work at the heart of influencing corporate behavior on critical issues facing our country. The Director or Managing Director of Programs will lead the creation and management of JUST Capital's programmatic initiatives through its next phase of growth. JUST Capital is increasingly building out its issue-based work to directly engage business leaders and influence markets on key issues like workers' financial security to advancing racial equity. Through this work, JUST Capital seeks to not only change specific practices and policies within the companies it engages with but also shift the public narrative across corporate America on these crucial topics. The successful candidate will have expertise in the issues JUST Capital is seeking to influence, be an excellent writer and communicator, have experience fundraising, and be entrepreneurial and expansive in their thinking about how best to build programmatic strategy that advances our mission. The role will report to the Chief Strategy Officer and will lead the team responsible for advancing key program initiatives.The Primary Responsibilities Include
- Create programmatic and issue strategy, based on JUST's unique expertise, and execute initiatives to influence corporate and market behavior. This work will be done in close collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer, Managing Director of Corporate Strategy, and other teams.
- Build new and sophisticated strategies on racial and gender equity, economic inequality, and climate change. Work includes identifying focus areas, conceiving and building programs, as well as producing events, content, and engagement approaches.
- Oversee current initiatives including the Worker Financial Wellness Initiative and our Racial Equity portfolio.
- Lead a team of at least 2-3 people who are managing existing and new initiatives.
- Establish and coordinate partnerships with NGOs, corporations, investors, and others for current and new initiatives.
- Execute programmatic-related corporate engagement strategies, developing relationships with companies to secure participation in JUST Capital's initiatives.
- Guide the foundation-based fundraising strategies for programmatic initiatives, cultivating relationships with foundations and overseeing grant processes.
- In collaboration with JUST's Research team, identify research projects and external partnerships to support JUST's programmatic efforts, building the business and investor case for behavior change.
- Develop and manage relationships with external partners, establishing formal partnerships and overseeing one-off collaborations on events, or products.
- A commitment to and passion for the JUST Capital mission.
- 8-10+ years experience in nonprofit, corporate responsibility, philanthropy, or government.
- Proven project management, time management, and multi-tasking abilities while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
- Exceptional writer that is able to adapt communication style and approach to varying audiences and stakeholders.
- Track record of taking an idea or concept and bringing it fruition. Approach projects with a proactive attitude and ability to function effectively in a highly matrix environment. A plus to have done this in a nonprofit context where bringing work to fruition also included funding strategy/foundation engagement.
- Strong research background or subject matter expert on DEI & worker related issues a plus; ability to engage academic researchers and policy experts. Existing network a plus.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; able to foster, manage and grow partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective team leader and team player, with the ability to work effectively as part of a positive, highly collaborative group that shares tasks and responsibilities.
To be considered for this position, submit your resume, a writing sample and cover letter addressing why you are interested in working for a nonprofit like JUST Capital and specific skills you bring to this role. NOTE Applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered.JUST Capital is an Equal Opportunity Employer - people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
The compensation and benefits package at JUST Capital has been thoughtfully designed to ensure we model what we measure when it comes to just business behaviors. Benefits include
- Best-in-class health, vision, and dental care benefits for you and your family including membership in One Medical Group for on-demand primary care and access to Health Advocate, the nation's leading healthcare advocacy & assistance company.
- Respect for work-life balance, including a flexible work from home policy.
- 20 personal time off days, 5 sick days, as well as 15 holidays a year - and we encourage you to take them!
- Other paid time off when the office generally closes the last week of the year.
- Fully paid parental leave of up to 12 weeks and backup childcare.
- 401(k) retirement plan, with employer matching of 100% up to 4% of salary.
- Subsidized gym memberships, Citi Bike membership, and pre-tax commuter benefits.