JOB SUMMARY: The QCD Environmental, Health and Safety Manager will lead and reinforce the safety culture by providing leadership of the Safety Playbook and subject matter expertise. This leader will be responsible for developing, implementing and promoting a strong workplace safety, health, and environmental program for the organization. In partnership with Corporate, local EHS teams, Human Resources and facility leaders, will drive the goal of "Zero Accidents" through a proactive, safe work practice that utilizes prevention and mitigation techniques when assessing potential risks. The position manages 6 regional safety managers and reports to the VP Logistics for QCD with significant interface with the safety director for other GSF companies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead the management of companywide safety initiatives across the network of approximately 25 distribution facilities
- Lead the effective management, motivation, and training of safety, and regulatory compliance
- Maintain current knowledge of trends and practices and remains apprised of logistics industry standards, technology, developments, and regulatory changes
- Identify and implement best practices into Company's standards to continuously improve safety practices
- Driving the adoption of the Safety Playbook, build trust and confidence with Leadership teams throughout the organization
- Influencing change among key stakeholders and implementing comprehensive risk assessments and safety data analytics and analysis
- Drive Communication and Reporting
- Responsible for the preparation and dissemination of reports as directed by management which includes "ad hoc" reporting
- Utilize technology to prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data; making recommendations, trends and recommended next steps
- Manage the Safety KPIs and other trends to identify areas where we can continue to account for and mitigate risks and drive safety initiatives
- Collaborate effectively across the organization
- Measure regional performance against requirements in safety policies and identify a plan to implement and address negative trends and deficiencies
- Ensure consistent and timely training in partnership with Regional Safety Leaders in leading Company safety policies and assist in incorporating safety standards at all distribution facilities in the network
- Provide guidance and oversight to guarantee compliance with Company Safety policies
- Communicate expectations and provide consistent and appropriate feedback to safety team to ensure performance of core competencies
- Work with senior leadership to establish goals, metrics, and priorities for safety across multiple organizations
- Manage regulatory challenges and advise management on recommended course of action
- Manage OSHA citations and investigations in conjunction with Field Safety team
- Analyze metrics and review monthly incidents to understand trends and align resources to focus where safety risk is frequent
- Audit data collection and reporting practices to confirm compliance with federal and state regulations
- Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B. S.) or equivalent from four-year college in Engineering, Business Management, or related field.
- 7+ years corporate and field management safety experience in the Distribution Center, Logistics industry preferred.
- Experience in implementing awareness/branding campaigns and techniques to create and maintain a strong safety culture.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have proficient experience with Microsoft 365 including Excel, Word, Outlook & PowerPoint.
- Experience utilizing Power BI, Alchemy and Intelex preferred.
Certificates and Licenses: CSP, ASP, CRSP, CHST, CUSA, CSHM, COSS, CSMP, OSHA, and/or MSHA
- This position will manage the QCD Safety Team.
- Develop and execute the company's business strategies in order to attain the goals of the organizations.
- Prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate. Ensure company policies and legal guidelines are communicated and followed at all times.
- Communicate and maintain trust relationships with shareholders, business partners, and authorities.
- Able to delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of direct reports providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance.
Knowledge of (B/basic; J/journey; E/expert):
- Persuasion Skills (J)
- Attention to details (E)
- Strength of conviction (J)
- Safety policies, practices, and procedures (E)
- Environmental policies, practices, and procedures (J)
- Regulatory policy making procedures (J)
- Occupational Health and Safety audit concept and techniques (E)
- Environmental audit concept and techniques (J)
- Good Manufacturing and Distribution Practices (J)
- Manufacturing concepts and techniques (J)
- Food Processing concepts and techniques (J)
- Food Warehousing and Distribution concepts and techniques (J)
- PC: word processing/spreadsheet and presentation (PowerPoint) software (J)
- Safety Incident Reporting and Tracking software systems (B)
- Continuous Improvement Methodology & Root Cause Analysis (E)
Skills and Abilities
- Analyze and resolve complex problems.
- Manage and motivate associates in a team based environment.
- Sound general business acumen.
- Knowledge of various cultures.
- Knowledge of process flow interactions.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with internal and external customers verbally and in writing.
- Prepare a variety of comprehensive administrative and technical documents and reports.
- Read and process written information with high degree of accuracy.
- Work effectively in a general business environment, with a focus on high level of quality, ethics and customer service.
- Willingness and ability to travel via airplane and drive automobile.
- Act in accordance with GSF's Values and Creed
- Ability to lead by influencing.
- Achieving results through others where no / little formal lines of authority exist.
- Possess a facilitative style of management.
- EHS regulatory compliance
- Productivity/quality standards: verifiable Occupational Health and Safety Programs
- Productivity/quality standards: verifiable Environmental Programs
- EHS audits and inspections
- Coordination of third-party/customer audits
- Teamwork within the department and across departments and facilities
- Internal customer satisfaction
- Vendor relations
- Regulatory Agency (domestic and international) relations
- Selected EHS parameters to improve compliance and overall costs