Jupiter is the global market leader in analytics for resilience planning and enterprise climate risk management, especially in financial services, industrial, the public sector, and NGOs.
Jupiter is led by pioneers in data, climate, and earth and ocean sciences, as well as technology, risk management, company building, and public policy. Our climate risk modeling solutions save lives and mitigate potentially catastrophic impacts inflicted by hurricanes, floods, heat waves, wildfires, drought, and other extreme weather events on homes, businesses, infrastructure, food and water supplies, and entire economies.
We seek new colleagues-data scientists, physical scientists, software engineers, company builders, and more-who share our passion for excellence, innovation, and collaboration. Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth's economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change. We value working in an inclusive and equitable environment, with team diversity that reflects the world we live in.
Jupiter is hiring a motivated software developer with a scientific background interested in working with a world-class team of data scientists, physical scientists, and software engineers to improve and optimize assessments of risk from flooding, heat, wind, fire, and other hazards that are impacted by extreme weather and climate change. The ideal candidate shall play a leading role in building and coupling Earth modeling applications, machine learning, and scalability for our ClimateScore products across the globe. This position primarily contributes toward developing and maintaining a foundation for scientific code, infrastructure, and automation pipelines which generate large scale datasets for Jupiter's ClimateScore™ Intelligence Platform. An ideal candidate for this position excels at problem-solving, can quickly learn new skills and technologies, and maintains an adaptable and flexible approach to new challenges.
Lists (For requirements, responsibilities, etc.)Responsibilities
- Develop alongside software engineers and scientists to execute large-scale data analytics and scientific model chains in the cloud
- Contribute to earth modeling software algorithms for the purposes of refinement or improved results
- Integrate new models and data analytics into our platform utilizing Python, Jupyter notebooks, Docker, and public cloud services
- Contribute enhancements to automated pipelines for integrating model chains and data validation by using containers and AWS or similar commercial cloud vendors
- Improve scalability and stability of earth modeling applications utilizing object storage and dynamic cloud compute to process hundreds of terabytes to petabytes of resulting simulation data
- Rapidly develop prototypes to solve dynamic problems and iterate on solutions in an agile environment
- Contribute to internal code libraries via new development, code reviews, and troubleshooting
- Enhance the portability of current platform tools and frameworks for various cloud architectures
- Help evaluate cloud services and open-source tools across feature sets, performance gains, and cost benefits
- Define and review new prototypes and modeling software for inclusion into the Jupiter ecosystem
- Enable scientific staff to utilize cloud compute and data at scale via tool development, training, and advocacy of best practices
Additional desirable qualifications:
- A passion for working with scientists to deliver solutions to all sectors of the economy that face physical risks
- Strong experience in Python, including common scientific libraries and Jupyter notebooks
- Experience in software architecting, source code (git) repositories, and building and managing software packages and dependencies
- Understanding of profiling and scaling software on servers or cloud-based infrastructure
- Practical experience building and deploying containers (Docker)
- Bachelor's Degree or experience in a relevant scientific discipline (atmospheric science, physics, chemistry, engineering, computer science, statistics)
Jupiter Intelligence is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience utilizing / managing Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar for cloud computing and storage
- Familiarity using Dask and distributed compute frameworks
- Master's Degree or greater, with experience in a relevant scientific discipline (atmospheric science, physics, chemistry, engineering, computer science, statistics)
- Experience working in a distributed team across multiple disciplines
- Experience with GIS concepts and geospatial data structures
- Start up experience in a technology or science-oriented company