Deputy Division Director, Environment, Health & Safety (EHS)
Deputy Division Director - Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) - 91641
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking an experienced Deputy Division Director for the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EH&S) Division. As part of the EH&S leadership team, this position will provide leadership and oversight regarding technical, programmatic and strategic development for the 110-person Division. As a recognized leader and accomplished EH&S practitioner, this position will make substantial contributions and interface with senior leadership and Division management within the Laboratory and the Department of Energy (DOE) complex. This position will also contribute to the formulation and direction of EH&S programs to enhance Berkeley Lab's preeminence as a National Laboratory. Serving as a liaison to peers at other DOE facilities, University of California (UC) campuses and private industry, this position will benchmark best practices and represent Berkeley Lab in management interactions with DOE, regulatory agency contacts, and members of the public.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, multidisciplinary research institution and further our work to strengthen EH&S technical programs and expertise, develop innovative and efficient solutions to foster line management stewardship of EH&S, and promote a healthy work and safety culture for Berkeley Lab.
What You Will Do:
• Assist the EH&S Division Director in overseeing execution of all technical EH&S programs. Plan, direct and manage a wide variety of complex EH&S Division programs, interdisciplinary initiatives, and special projects. Provide effective leadership and guidance toward implementing plans to address program maintenance and improvements. Strategically evaluate and anticipate future business needs and develop recommended plans to address them.
• Manage and provide guidance to EH&S Division Department Heads. Evaluate work performed by staff supporting key EH&S Division programs and initiatives. Contribute to succession planning and leadership development for the Division. Serve as Acting Division Director in Division Director's absence.
• In partnership with the Division Director, ensure EH&S Division staff are provided with a safe work environment and that Division management at all levels share and actively support this commitment. Through development of Assurance measurements, evaluate and analyze the effective and efficient conduct of operations throughout the EH&S Division requiring proper documentation, including relevant written procedures and work authorizations.
• In partnership with the Division Director, champion a meaningful safety culture for Berkeley Lab to ensure line management accountability of Integrated Safety Management practices and strategies throughout the organization. Review and provide consultation to scientific and operationsDivisions regarding the thoroughness of their Integrated Safety Management plans.
• Design, develop and present management briefings and reports to the EH&S Division, senior Laboratory management, and DOE. Develop plans to translate high-level policy decisions into clear action plans aligning with Division goals and objectives in the following areas: operations, administration, information and systems technology, budget and headcount projections and HR issues.
• Serve as spokesperson on behalf of the EH&S Division Director as appropriate to UC, DOE, and other external agencies, regulators, and institutions involving a wide range of EH&S issues. Represent the EH&S Division within the Laboratory's internal management structure and provide guidance and direction to the institution regarding EH&S programs and requirements. Establish productive and collaborative working relationships within the Division, with other Division Directors and Deputy Directors, Associate Laboratory Directors and the Laboratory Director.
• Maintain an active partnership with the Safety Advisory Committee and Division Safety Coordinators, and lead the focus and direction for the EH&S Liaisons.
• Assist the Division Director with shaping and guiding the direction, vision and mission of the EH&S Division and the Laboratory. As an active contributing member of the EH&S Division leadership team, work collaboratively and cohesively with senior and other key Division staff to participate in and/or lead a variety of Division-wide initiatives and Laboratory programs and projects.
What is Required:
• Bachelor's degree in science, engineering, industrial hygiene, occupational health, safety or related technical discipline and 20 years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and substantial interdisciplinary EH&S knowledge and experience.
• At least 10 years of progressive experience managing technical-oriented organizations of 25+ people or managing complex multi-disciplinary projects requiring direct supervision of project personnel.
• Substantial experience managing EH&S programs in a demanding research and development environment where political, technical and other stakeholder priorities must be optimized for the long-term benefit of science, EH&S integrity and the long-term growth of a preeminent research institution.
• Broad overall understanding of the practices and theories related to the areas of environmental protection, occupational safety and health and emergency management. In-depth knowledge of technical aspects of EH&S functional areas and applicable Federal, State, and local regulations governing EH&S programs.
• Proven ability to lead interdisciplinary EH&S programs, audits, or project teams.
• Extensive knowledge of management principles, project management, planning, budgeting, communications, human resources management, environmental protection concepts, and principles and practices applicable to ensuring a safe and healthy workplace.
• Excellent communication skills along with strong organizational and analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with a broad range of internal personnel, including Laboratory senior management, Operations and Scientific Division Directors and Deputy Directors, visitors, regulatory agencies as well as external organizations such as senior-level UC and DOE contacts, State agencies, City officials, concerned citizens, and regulatory agencies.
• Demonstrated ability and experience dealing with sensitive issues using tact and diplomacy, in order to obtain support, agreement, and compromise of positions most favorable to the Laboratory and DOE.
• Professional certification(s) in an EH&S discipline. Advanced degree in EH&S fields, management science, or public policy.
• Experience managing EH&S programs within a DOE sponsored research institution or other government funded research and development institution is highly desirable.
• For full consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter by October 15, 2021.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• The Deputy Division Director is a career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director, and this appointment is at will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
• This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon assuming this position, annually while holding this position, and when leaving this position.
How To Apply
Apply directly online (fill out the apply form on this page to be redirected) and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.