The Manager of Environmental Health and Safety (Mgr, EHS) is responsible for developing, executing and maintaining safe operations in all CM Facilities, Manufacturing Plants and Distribution Warehouses. The Mgr, EHS works closely with each location's HR Manager, Plant Manager, and Safety Committee to coordinate and support the safety programs, and participates in managing all Workers' Compensation claims. The Mgr, EHS will ensure that all CM facilities, plants and distribution centers are in compliance with all OSHA mandated programs, and facilitates/coordinates training in areas including but not limited to hazard communication, blood born pathogens, confined space entry, emergency evacuations, hearing conservation, hot work, lockout/tag-out, first aid/emergency response, and powered industrial trucks. The Mgr, EHS promotes safety by working with all departments to analyze current environments and make recommendations for safety improvements. The Mgr, EHS will also be responsible for analyzing accident data to identify trends and accident types that can be prevented in the future.
Essential Functions: Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Updates Corporate and Plant Leadership proactively on OSHA regulations changes and the impact to our business.
- Works proactively with the plant Safety Committees and HR Managers in consistently planning & execution, implementing and directing all aspects of the safety programs.
- Works closely with HR Team and Plant Managers to implement and manage safety policies and procedures. Helps develop action plans, reapplies best practices and helps prioritize in the order of most need and most impact.
- Provides strong leadership and ability to influence all levels of the organization to drive continuous improvement in safety performance.
- Drives safety communications proactively across manufacturing.
- Provides support to Senior Management, legal counsel, medical providers, Human Resources, managers and injured employees.
- Develops, implements, executes and manages strategies to prevent workplace injuries and property losses.
- Works with plants and distribution centers to ensure sites are capable of responding to workplace injuries and medical emergencies.
- Maintains all corporate and manufacturing safety records and statistics; ensures accuracy.
- Provides regular reporting to keep all corporate and manufacturing personnel aware of trends.
- Conducts routine safety audits of all CM facilities, plants and distribution centers to ensure compliance to all OSHA, state and local requirements. Provide appropriate follow up, action plans and support as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals qualified with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Technical resource to the plants on OSHA regulations, capital project review signoff for safety and ergo concerns and other safety related information as needed.
- Demonstrated and documented knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Standards for office and manufacturing environments.
- Maintains up to date information and knowledge of safety issues and opportunities within manufacturing environment.
- Strong ability to analyze accident data, new processes, and machinery for potential safety concerns.
- Proficient in Word for Windows, Excel, PowerPoint and Access applications essential.
- Excellent project management, communication and presentation skills.
- Proactive, excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize and operate in a dynamic environment
- Professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader by influencing all levels of the organization to drive continuous improvement in safety performance.
- Ability to work with and influence people in a professional and positive manner.
- Strong Customer Service skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including high level of negotiation skills.
- Good listener.
- Assertive and willingness to challenge organization in approaches to safety.
- Open to giving and receiving constructive feedback and ability to act on it.
- Provides clear expectations, manages accountability, gains commitment, takes responsibility for activities, is approachable, openly supports organizational objectives, and promotes safety.
- High regard for safe practices, promotes continuous improvement, sets high personal and professional standards, and persists when faced with adversity.
Personal and Social Competence
- Maintains professional relationships with external safety industry experts.
- High integrity and honesty, promoting trust in all actions.
- Creative, flexible and change-oriented.
- Assertive, energetic, and a self-starter.
- Seeks out, encourages and demonstrates use of constructive feedback.
- Exhibits commitment to achieving department, customer, and organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to travel up to 25 - 30% of the time and work a flexible work schedule.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS in Safety Engineering, Business/Finance, Risk Management Safety or related field, or equivalent Safety Management experience required
- 5-7 years progressive work experience in safety management, and at least 5 years of plant based safety in a manufacturing operating preferred
- Certified Safety Professional preferred
- Experience with multi-functional development teams preferred
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The policy of Continental Mills, Inc. is to hire, train, and promote all persons in all job groups in accordance with law, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital or military status, national origin, gender identity, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected by local, state, or federal law.
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance and Medical Insurance (starting at $45/month for employee only coverage)
- Company provided life insurance and disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- 3 weeks of PTO
- 9 paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
About Continental Mills:
Since 1932, we've been making a wide variety of quality products that are easy to make at home. Based in Seattle, Washington, we grew up with the pioneering spirit of our Northwest heritage. That taste for adventure has helped us bring many exciting, innovative products to market worldwide. Our brand names have grown to signify an uncompromising commitment to excellence. We were honored to recently be named one of Washington's Best Places to Work for the third year in a row!
We always put people first. We truly value our employees, our customers, and our community. We're fiercely proud of who we are and what we do. We embrace diversity, equity and inclusion and the unique experiences that each person adds to our positive culture. We do the right thing and treat everyone with dignity and respect, without compromise.
Quality Products, Quality People
We have a passion for quality, making amazing Krusteaz baking and pancake mixes, WildRoots snacks, Alpine Cider drink mixes and more! You and your family will love the variety of products and flavors that can be found through Retail grocery stores, Food Service products sold through restaurants, hospitals and schools, and Club store channels throughout the United States.
We hope you'll take the time to get to know us!