Job DescriptionEnvironmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Working for Sara Lee: Sara Lee Frozen Bakery became a stand-alone company in 2018 when it was purchased by Kohlberg and Company (private equity) from Tyson Foods. We have the feel of start up in many ways, though we are an established brand with a strong customer and consumer base. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, continually seek process improvements and a strong sense of customer service, then this is the right type of environment for you.
Our vision is to be the world's most beloved bakery by creating irresistible foods, growing with our customers, and delivering value for all. We believe that each of us has unique points of difference and experience to offer. We believe that there is always a better way, and we will never be satisfied with status quo. We believe simplicity enables speed. We believe in integrity above all. We live for food, and we "wow" consumers and customers through collaboration and innovation.
Summary: The Environment, Health, and Safety Manager is tasked with providing leadership and strategic direction by leading the plant's EH&S continuous improvement efforts. A key component of this role is to lead and implement processes that help that create a culture focused on Zero Injuries and Zero Environmental incidents. In this role you will formulate a proactive, local EHS strategy that drives the plant to become an environmentally sustainable, healthy and safe operation. You will participate in developing a vision for EH&S, which includes continual enhancement of established programs and consistent implementation of new programs within a team environment. The EH&S Manager will be involved in the effort to eliminate, prevent, or reduce the occurrence of safety, health, medical and environmental issues. In this position you will act as a change agent to accelerate best practice sharing within the facility as well as facilitate the development and maintenance of behaviors, attitudes and a safety culture that supports the purpose and vision of Sara Lee Frozen Bakery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Directs the safety programs for the site. Recommends the design and implementation of new programs to minimize company losses due to accidents. Measures effectiveness of programs.
• Lead the compliance with OSHA regulations.
• Inspect machinery, equipment and working conditions to ensure compliance with OSHA. Maintain OSHA file and support documents. Accompanies OSHA inspector on plant inspections.
• Regularly inspects and reviews plant operations to assure compliance of all permits, operation and equipment with state and federal regulations. Reports any potential violations and recommends corrections as needed.
• Lead sustainability efforts to reduce and optimize the plants energy, water and land usage.
• Manages environmental reporting records as well as submit required reports to regulatory agencies.
• Provide day to day oversight of non-clinical activities with the sites Occupational Health Nursing staff. (i.e. Staffing, providing input on goals and trends/pattern.)
• Analyzes accident statistics to establish necessary precautions and changes needed for plant safety.
• Communicates safety policy and procedure changes to management.
• Responsible for ensuring that all health & safety policies, procedures and practices are reviewed on an annual basis, or as changes and updates are required by practices or regulation.
• Manages the plant environmental process and exposures such as Air, Water and Waste.
• Conducts frequent combined safety and environmental inspections and procedural audits in the field and lead corrective action if required.
• Reviews all safety areas to review policies, determine causes, identify corrective actions and conducts training in areas such as: ergonomics, CTD cases, emergency response team, lockout/tagout, hazard communication, and personal protective equipment.
• Investigates all safety related incidents, reviews incident reports and completes necessary reports for insurance carrier, risk management system and corporate safety office.
• Potential travel up to 25%.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
• Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Management, Engineering or Industrial Technology; Master's degree preferred; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 3-5 years of progressive experience in environment, safety, and sustainability management.
• Strong knowledge of safety regulations (OSHA, hazard communications, accident investigation and safety training methods) and environmental regulations (EPCRA, CAA, CWA, and SARAIII).
• Knowledgeable about industry best practice regarding safety and environmental approaches with PSM & RMP safety practices.
• HACCP Certification and Six Sigma Black Belt are a plus but not required.
• Candidates must have an entrepreneurial program-building mindset.
• Proficient in the use of personal computers and related software applications. (MS Office/MS Outlook/Web based systems.) Working knowledge of the beverage or food manufacturing industry preferred, with a knowledge of EH&S regulations and factors related to food manufacturing facilities.
• Skilled in performing internal on-site safety and environmental inspections for audit purposes.
• Ability to plan programs and initiatives at regional, multi-location level.
• Strengths in People Management including: communication; leadership; effective presentation skills; coaching; crisis management; motivation; team building; organization; time management; stress management.
• Flexible in working during non-business hours to meet business needs.
The position responsibilities outlined above are not to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties and responsibilities may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Sara Lee Frozen Bakery provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.