When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of more than $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.Location/Division Specific Information
US - Carlsbad, CA/Biosciences How will you make an impact?
This staff scientist will be working at the forefront of cell biology applications in drug discovery and cell therapy, developing integrated applications with a supporting team, using a wide array of Thermo Fisher Scientific products, focused around stem cells and genome engineering. This position will oversee a team which focuses on three principal activities, to exemplify how to use our tools to ask broad scientific questions, to execute custom services for our customers and to participate in external collaborations. The staff scientist will be expected to lead efforts independently and is expected to manage and mentor other scientists in the team in a highly collaborative and matrixed environment. Areas of focus may include, but not be limited to, cell line engineering, high-throughput or high-content assay development, reprogramming of adult somatic cells to induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), genomic editing of iPSCs, differentiation of iPSCs and the use of CRISPR libraries to execute functional genomics screens. These projects may be driven by internal project design or by external collaborations.What will you do?
- The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D leadership, project and product management and external collaborators to develop workplans as well as strategies for further growth of the business. This individual will thus be expected to support and participate in senior level meetings, business reviews, etc. The staff scientist will also be responsible for overseeing execution of these plans to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. These activities will require a significant level of independence and require daily mentoring and management of scientists, and the staff scientist is expected to build relationships with other lead scientists on the broader cell biology team and beyond.
This role will require detailed expertise or background in the following areas, with ability to train others on the team:
- Molecular biology (plasmid subcloning, RT-PCR, TaqMan® PCR, western blotting, sequencing)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging, cryopreservation, characterization and differentiation)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection and antibiotic-selection)
- Assay development for disease modeling and potency (high-throughput and high-content)
- CRISPR Screens (array-based CRISPR screens in cell-based assays)
- Requires a PhD degree in the life sciences. Candidates with a bachelor's degree (10+ years experience) or a master's degree (7+ years experience) will also be considered. Previous people management experience is required.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.