EDUCATION / INTERPRETATION INTERNSHIP
The intern will split time between the interpretation team delivering informal front of house education and with the formal education team working with schools, youth and adult/senior tour groups. The intern will be expected to interpret live and static exhibits to the visiting public and teach interactive marine science programs to groups, including day programs and Nocturne night at the aquarium experiences, interact with teachers and chaperons organize food schedules for youth groups, and monitor groups during their self-guided tours. The intern is required to work a flexible schedule to accommodate variable hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends as needed. The intern will also work with the education team on projects that may include virtual field trip elements, inventory and supply maintenance of educational materials and resources and video creations. The intern will have daily interaction with interpretation, exhibits, husbandry, and research personnel. Under the guidance of Education and Interpretation staff, the intern will be trained and expected to perform the following duties:
* Interpret all of the Alaska SeaLife Centers static and live animal exhibits housing marine mammals, birds, fish, and invertebrates. Help maintain the physical appearance of manned exhibits and deliver announcements over the public address system.
* Present briefings, lectures, presentations, multi-media shows, structured and impromptu talks, and guided tours by learning to employ appropriate interpretive techniques and devices geared to the characteristics and interest of particular audiences.
* Assist the interpretation and education department with public presentations by maintaining and organizing education program materials
* Demonstrate learned educational skills by present one-hour lessons to classes and other visiting groups.
* Logistical support for workshops and conferences.
* Learn about Alaska SeaLife Centers virtual field trips, presentations, and exhibits and assist with multimedia elements.
* Interacting daily with interpretation, husbandry and research personnel.
* Performs other duties relating to the Centers goals and mission statement as required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
INTERNSHIP DATES: SEPTEMBER 11, 2021 TO JANUARY 7, 2022