RESEARCH ASSOCIATE I/II (CELL BIOLOGY)
About Abalone Bio: Abalone Bio is a preclinical-stage biotechnology company developing antibody drugs for G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs), ion channels and other membrane protein targets. We are developing our own therapeutics as well as partnering with pharmaceutical companies to discover drug candidates for their targets. Founded in 2017, Abalone is based in the Bay Area (Emeryville, California) and is a Y Combinator alumni (WC20). Check us out at
Who are we looking for? Abalone Bio is seeking a collaborative and highly motivated Research Associate to join our team working to advance and support our core functional antibody discovery and development activities. The successful RA will work with our cross-functional R&D team to optimize and execute Abalone Bios yeast-based antibody discovery technology platform and to identify, optimize, and characterize antibody drug candidates. This role is a unique opportunity to have a direct impact on previously untreatable diseases by discovering and developing rare functional antibody drugs.
What youll do:
* Develop mammalian cell-based assays to characterize lead antibodies.
* Produce recombinant antibodies in E. coli, yeast and/or mammalian cells.
* Create stable mammalian cell lines for binding and functional assays.
* Construct, and characterize antibody libraries.
* Perform yeast and phage-based selections for functional antibodies and characterize hits.
* Generate and analyze NGS data for identification of functional antibody hits.
* Contribute to lab operations.
What you bring to the team:
* BS/BA or MS degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, immunology or a related field
* 1+ years hand-on experience designing, executing, and troubleshooting experiments (outside of a classroom environment) is required.
* Strong background in molecular biology is required.
* Experience generating DNA constructs (Gibson assembly, CRISPR, etc.) is required.
* Experience culturing and engineering microbes is preferred but not required.
* Data analysis using R, Python or similar shell-scripting computational tools is preferred but not required.
* Bioinformatics, NGS sequencing and analysis is preferred but not required.
What do we offer?
* Competitive salary
* Stock options
* Insurance coverages including health, dental and vision
* 401K and company match
* Generous paid time off and paid holidays
* Close to public transportation (Amtrak, AC Transit)
* Highly collaborative and fun work environment
Abalone Bio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. We seek to build a company that promotes inclusion and expands the diversity of our industry as a whole. We encourage people with identities underrepresented in biotech to apply.