Our work at Hach ensures water quality for people around the world. Our customer partnerships, passionate experts, and reliable, easy-to-use solutions make water analysis better-faster, simpler, greener, and more informative. As a member of our team, you'll get to make an immediate, measurable impact on a global scale, within industries from aviation to manufacturing to mining. You'll also be part of an environment that fosters career growth and professional development, with kindness at its core. And you'll be part of our mission, which drives us to develop water quality solutions that protect the health and safety of all living things.
Hach is proud to be one of Danaher's Water Quality companies. Motivated by the highest possible stakes of climate change and global health, we're working together within a rapidly digitizing industry to find innovative technologies that guarantee the safety of our water and our environment.
About the role:
The R&D Chemist works with a small team of chemists and cross-functional teams to develop, problem solve, modify, test and prepare chemical products and product applications. This position works to tackle sophisticated problems within the chemistry team and takes a new point of view using existing solutions. Continuous improvement approach and demeanor with little supervision and mentorship for use with Hach's systems for analysis. Working in cross-functional teams (typically only one chemist); brainstorm, problem-solving; working with production/manufacturing.
* Develops new chemical methods of analysis for use on Hach instrumentation through independent research. Demonstrates a wide range of analytical techniques, methods, chemical principles, and laboratory practices during the development of new analysis products.
* Drives and maintains safe working environments.
* Exhibits proven practical experience while working closely with marketing in commercialization of new/modified product or application launches.
* Develops and generates formularies and quality control procedures for new and modified test reagents with minimal direction.
* Provides direction to other chemists, engineering, and operations regarding chemical aspects of design and manufacturing.
* Prepares calibrations for Hach chemistries for use on Hach instrumentation.
* Writes summary reports of development work completed to keep company personnel advised of project status.
* Reviews technical journals and competitive literature to maintain company competitiveness.
* Assist manufacturing associates with chemistry-related items to facilitate production efficiency.
* Has the ability to translate market understanding into applications projects and determine impact on original design of product.
* Develops the deadlines, projects, and work to be done in consultation with the supervisor. Determines the approach to be taken and the methodology to be used. Keeps the supervisor advised of progress, potentially sensitive matters, or far-reaching implications. Completed work is generally reviewed from an overall standpoint in terms of feasibility, compatibility with other work and departments (e.g., engineering design), or efficiency in meeting requirements or encouraged results.
* Uses initiative and resourcefulness in deviating from traditional methods, such as those found in the literature.
* Uses Design of Experiment (DOE) and statistical analysis with guidance.
* Combines varied duties requiring many different and unrelated processes and methods, such as those relating to well-established aspects of a scientific or engineering field.
* Establishes criteria; formulates projects; assesses program efficiency; or investigates or analyzes a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions.
* Establishes personal contacts with individuals or groups from inside and outside Hach in a moderately unstructured setting, with a purpose to plan, coordinate, or advise on work efforts or to resolve operating problems by influencing or motivating individuals or groups
* Provides chemistry knowledge to the project or business area of focus.
* Aids customers and Service Department to resolve analysis questions.
* Adheres to the company's Quality System, through accurate use of departmental procedures.
* Review's project and calibration reports written by others, to ensure technical accuracy.
* Writes chemical analysis procedures for incorporation into product formularies and controls.
* Follows guidelines such as department policies, safety standards, hazardous materials regulations and procedures, experimental precedents, and work directions for application to specific cases or problems. Recommends changes, exceptions, or adaptations to these things as suitable to improve the safety, efficiency and performance of the department or company.
Are you qualified:
* Bachelor's degree in chemistry or closely related field. Direct relevant industrial experience a plus
* Established lab experience outside of coursework
* Demonstrated knowledge in an area of chemistry (e.g., analytical, organic, or inorganic).
* Demonstrated knowledge of chemical characterization, function testing, problem solving.
* Able to communicate and present technical information to non-technical associates.
When you join us, you'll also be joining Danaher's global organization, where 69,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, you'll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.
The EEO posters are available here.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
If you've ever wondered what's within you, there's no better time to find out.