SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognised as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world. Job Description
Our Orlando, FL laboratory is looking for three laboratory analysts to join their Volatiles team. The Laboratory Analyst prepares and analyzes samples with accuracy and precision in accordance to SGS' analytical SOPs. This position works independently and as part of a team to meet daily production targets and ensure hold times and turnaround times are met. The laboratory analyst understands and applies basic analytical chemistry principles, always follow safe laboratory practices and maintains a safe working environment. This Laboratory Analyst reports into the Laboratory Supervisor.
The Laboratory Analyst:
- Prepares and analyzes samples according to SGS' analytical SOPs using instrumentation specific to the department and analytical methodologies.
- Performs analytical measurements that are both accurate and precise.
- Works independently and as part of a team to meet daily production targets and ensures hold times and turnaround times are met.
- Understands and applies basic analytical chemistry principles.
- Makes standards and reagents as required and documents work appropriately.
- Uses and updates LIMS to track and manage workload.
- Follows safe practices and maintains a safe working environment.
- Works with the Department Supervisor to manage work load.
- Applies technical judgment to determine potential problems for samples.
- Calibrates instrumentation.
- Processes and reports analytical results.
- Updates and loads work into LIMS. Uses LIMS for appropriate background information.
- Uses technical judgment to determine the appropriate analytical approach for various sample matrices.
- Appropriately uses lab applications.
- Tracks instrument quality control.
- Appropriately follows safety, operational integrity and quality control requirements for the work that is done.
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
- A degree or diploma in a science field with relevant lab classes or equivalent experience
- Environmental laboratory experience a plus
- Must be able to perform analytical measurements that are both accurate and precise
- Must have the ability to read and follow documented procedures, SOPs, safety rules, and operating and maintenance instructions
- Knowledge and understanding of basic analytical chemistry principles
- Some analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are a requirement of this position. Must have some understanding of process and workflow.
- Manual dexterity required. Must be able to perform some repetitive tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances and shows respect towards others and towards company principles
- Excellent time management skills which includes the ability to balance multiple projects concurrently (with different deadlines) and arrange the resources necessary to accomplish them
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with LIMS an asset
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks for sustained periods of time
- Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time
- Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature
- Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.