At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
BMS is a leader in the discovery and development of novel therapies that exploit targeted protein degradation. Structural biology is critical to our protein homeostasis (PH) research. High quality 3D structures of proteins and protein complexes involved in Ubiquitin/Proteasome System-mediated degradation enable our scientists to understand mechanisms of action, design ligands or drug molecules, and make predictions about new biological targets for our drug discovery efforts. A deep focus in Oncology puts our resources squarely on projects of intense biomedical interest.Job Description
The Scientist will perform and lead research within a talented group of structural biologists and will focus their experience and expertise in the PH field. There is opportunity to have a real-time, high value impact on the ongoing projects as well as chart the future of our research efforts by capitalizing on structural insights, for example by uncovering mechanisms of action, defining binding modes, and identifying target degrons. The leader will interface with chemistry, biology, proteomics, and Computational-Aided Drug Design scientists working on our PH projects. There are additional opportunities to interact with structural biology Scientists at other BMS sites. We are seeking a passionate scientist who strives to bring impactful structural biology insights to bear on a burgeoning portfolio of PH targets, with the goal of bringing novel therapies to patients.Job Responsibilities
- Plan, execute, and report on studies resulting in novel structures for CRBN E3 Ligase Modulators (CELMoDs) and Ligand Directed Degraders (LDDs)
- Lead structural biology efforts pursuing novel ligands for ubiquitin ligases and PH targets
- Represent the PH Structural Biology Team at project level and departmental meetings
- Lead and participate in departmental initiatives and represent PH Structural Biology on cross-functional initiatives / work streams / taskforce
- Work with managers and peers to develop innovative structural biology methodologies and approaches to enable drug discovery in the PH field
Career Development Opportunities:
- A PhD and postdoctoral research with relevant training and demonstrated expertise in x-ray crystallography, some knowledge of NMR and/or Cryo-EM is a plus
- At least 3 years of experience in an academic and/or industrial setting innovating strategies to structurally characterize protein/protein and/or protein/ligand complexes
- In-depth knowledge of current practices, instrumentation, and issues for answering key structural biology questions with a focus on protein complexes and enzymes
- Working knowledge of proteomics, protein expression, and protein purification
- Strong written and oral communication skills to deliver scientific results and presentations clearly
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a multidisciplinary team and inspire mutually-beneficial collaborations to drive the development of PH therapeutics
- Opportunities to manage and grow a group of scientists over time
- Opportunities to learn new scientific skills through active collaborations across the organization
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.