JOB TITLE: Pesticide Program Specialist
LOCATION: Oregon preferred; other locations may be considered.
COMPENSATION: $46,000 - $53,000 (starting) per year, commensurate with qualifications.
JOB START DATE: November 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 10/11/2021
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs
Xerces is happy to provide accommodations for the job application process if needed. If you need an accommodation to complete the job application process, please email email@example.com.
Come join a growing team of conservation professionals at the Xerces Society who are dedicated to protecting some of the world’s most important animals. Invertebrates are essential to the reproduction of most flowering plants, including many fruits, vegetables, and nuts; they play an important role in pest management; and they are a critical food source for birds, fish, and other animals. Yet invertebrate populations are often imperiled by human activities and rarely accounted for in traditional conservation.
Established in 1971 and based in Portland, Oregon, the Xerces Society is at the forefront of invertebrate protection worldwide, harnessing the knowledge of scientists and the enthusiasm of citizens to implement conservation programs. We take action by helping farmers and federal conservation agencies develop conservation plans for pollinators and beneficial insects, producing ground-breaking publications on insect conservation, training thousands of farmers and land managers to protect and manage habitat for beneficial insects, protecting endangered species and their habitat, and raising public awareness about the invertebrates of farms, forests, prairies, deserts, creeks, wetlands, and oceans. Our methods focus on habitat conservation planning, education, scientific analysis, advocacy, and applied research to conserve invertebrates such as bees, butterflies, mollusks, and dragonflies.
Note: This position will require regular interactions with partner organization's staff as well as the general public. We are requiring employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. We want to keep our staff, our partners, and the public we work with as safe as possible.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Reporting to the Pesticide Program Director, the Pesticide Program Specialist will support diverse efforts to reduce reliance on pesticides and mitigate risks to beneficial insects including pollinators, natural enemies, soil fauna, and aquatic invertebrates.
The successful candidate will be an integral part of Xerces’ Pesticide Team helping design and fulfill program goals. Key program areas that the Specialist will engage in include outreach and education to expand ecologically sound pest management in urban settings and advocacy for conservation-minded local and state policies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As part of a multi-person Pesticide Program team and in coordination with our pollinator, endangered species, and outreach teams, the Specialist will:
- Assist in creation and dissemination of pesticide/pest management related outreach materials, mainly for an urban audience. Materials could include community guides, fact sheets and position papers.
- Provide technical support and clear information on how to protect pollinators and other beneficial insects to a variety of audiences.
- Design, coordinate and present workshops and other trainings.
- Support efforts to enact local and state level policies to reduce the environmental impacts of pesticide use.
- Provide recommendations to reduce reliance on pesticides and minimize pesticide related risks.
- Assist Xerces in determining priority project areas.
- Organize outreach efforts to support conservation goals.
- Respond to requests for information from Xerces Society team members, Bee City USA affiliates and the public.
- Maintain regular communication with the Pesticide Program Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Thorough understanding of pesticides, their risks and regulation.
- Background and interest in networking, outreach and/or education.
- Ability to effectively communicate scientific information related to pest management plans, pesticide usage, impacts on invertebrates to a range of audiences to influence conservation practice.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English with strong public speaking skills for diverse audiences that include home gardeners, conservation partners, policymakers, and others.
- Extremely dependable, organized, and with attention to detail.
- Ability to manage time and diverse activities under tight deadlines, delivering high quality results.
- Ability and willingness to work with diverse teams and constituents in a respectful, equitable, and inclusive fashion.
- Ability to occasionally travel out of town overnight.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of the ecology of pollinators and other insects of interest (e.g. natural enemies and pest species).
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management or other ecologically sound practices and strategies for reducing negative impacts of pest management on pollinators and other beneficial insects.
- Experience with graphics, formatting, and design of materials into a visually compelling and informative format (Adobe Creative Suite skills preferred).
- Ability to create engaging content for social media platforms.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) or multilingual (including English and Spanish).
- Bachelor’s degree in toxicology, entomology, ecology, environmental science, conservation biology, natural resource management, or related field degree with at least two years of experience in a relevant field.
- Must have current authorization to work in the United States with any employer. Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
- Master’s degree in toxicology, ecology, environmental science, conservation biology, natural resource management, entomology, or related field degree with 3 or more years of experience in a relevant field.
- Valid driver’s license in the United States and a motor vehicle records check allowing employee to be insured under Xerces corporate liability insurance.
- Candidate must be able to work from an office in their home.
- Able to work in stationary position for periods of 1-8 hours.
- Occasionally drive vehicle or fly by commercial airline for periods of up to 8 hours.
- Able to move and transport supplies, materials, and equipment weighing up to 20 lbs.
STATUS: Full-Time, salaried, exempt position, scheduled to work ~ 40 hours/week.
BENEFITS: This position includes a generous benefits package: eleven paid holidays including two floating holidays that may be used for a personal or religious holiday observed by the employee or other occasion per policy, paid time off, paid health, dental, and disability insurance, option to participate in a pre-tax flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses, participation in a 401k retirement program upon eligibility and a flexible work environment.
TERMS: The Xerces Society is an at-will employer. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
MORE INFORMATION: For more information on the Xerces Society and our programs, please see our website: www.xerces.org
All applications must be submitted via our application website at: http://bit.ly/xerces-jobs.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Xerces Society is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
PRIORITY REFERRAL OF PROTECTED VETERANS
We request priority referral of protected veterans for all openings with our organization. In order to be considered for employment, all applicants for employment with Xerces Society, apply through our Job Board. When referring or being referred as a candidate, including protected veterans, please refer them to this applicant site; https://xerces.org/job-opportunities.