Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways - engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 14,000 people globally.? Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.?This position will be with the Advanced Technology and Research (AT+R) team in San Francisco, in the area of risk and resilience. The AT+R team is a leader for technical innovation at Arup, creating new services and digital tools from cutting edge technologies and methods, to advance Arup into new markets which usher in a safer, healthier, sustainable and resilient future. We are a multi-disciplinary team with deep technical expertise. We apply first principles of engineering and leverage our digital expertise to address our client's burning questions and develop inventive, creative, and practical solutions. We can virtually simulate almost anything in the built environment to predict performance impacts and implications for an organization, communities, and their people, enabling us to gain important insights and provide strategic advice of the highest technical caliber for confident decision-making.As a risk and resilience consultant, you will support our mission to help shape a better world and to simulate our clients' resilient futures. Through your work, you will help to advance and implement cutting edge methods that keeps Arup at the forefront of our industry.RESPONSIBILITIES
• Undertake, deliver, and manage qualitative and quantitative risk assessments for multiple hazards including earthquakes, flood, sea level rise, wind, and climate change
• Develop mitigation, adaptation, and resilience strategies for building and infrastructure projects and portfolios, corporations/institutions, and cities/communities.
• Collaborate with others within the firm on projects that can benefit from your expertise.
• Provide general support to the growth of the Risk and Resilience Consulting business, including client development and general business development efforts as well as the strategic direction of the AT+R team more broadly. REQUIREMENTSMinimum of a 4-year degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, or Geography. An MS, PhD, or MBA in engineering, science, business, or risk management is desirable. 5+ years of experience in practice or researchThe following skills and experiences are required: • Understanding of factors which influence the resilience of buildings and other physical infrastructure, organizations, and communities
• Strong coding skills to enable engineering risk calculations and interactive visualization tools for communicating risk
• Exceptional communication, negotiation, influencing, and presentation skillsInput to technical and financial bids and proposals Project management, including technical guidance, staff management, and coordination of project budgetsThe following skills and experiences are desirable:• Probabilistic risk modeling and familiarity with methodologies such as FEMA P-58 and HAZUSExperience with or understanding of the design of mission-critical facilities such as datacenters and hospitals• Application of performance-based engineering and simulation software
• Coursework and/or practical experience in computer programming or software engineering• Subject matter expertise with one or more hazards such as earthquake, wind, wildfire, or flood
• Interest in climate science and understanding of climate change scenarios• Application of climate change and adaptation strategies Interpretation and quantitative analysis of weather and climate data,• Licensed Professional Engineer or willingness to pursue licensure
• Understanding of vulnerability and risk assessment methods for utility and transit networks
• An appreciation for the intersection of insurance, risk, and resilience and a willingness to pursue opportunities in this space
• Collaboration with local governments, universities, non-profits, building code bodies, etc. in developing codes and public policies around resilience
• Familiarity with resilience tools and guidelines such as the City Resilience Framework and the REDi Rating System
• Strong client and stakeholder engagement skills including the ability to aid in development of resilience objectives, communicate risk, develop mitigation and operations continuity strategies
• Experience developing cost-benefit analyses across a range of risk reduction or resilience strategies COMPETENCIES
As a consultant, you will have demonstrated a growing competence in the following areas:
• Technical excellence
• Project delivery
• Project Management
• Customer focus• Digital technology Arup offers an excellent benefits package including healthcare, 401k match of 10%, 4 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO), 9 paid public holidays and bonus compensation in the form of Profit Share.Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.